This Disappears When Logged In

Dubia Roach Colony Arrived!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Dragonscalestudios, Jul 31, 2009.

1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm still going to have to weigh my options. I don't think I can totally get away from the cricktes, but if I have my own breeding colony of roaches, and if the whites will eat them off of tongs, then I'll go from spending $40/month on crickets, to under $10 and I'll just get them from petsmart.

2. Orca

Orca Elite Member

And Liz, if you are worried that the bugs will bury in the substrate like Stephanie said, you can always do the bugs-in-a-jar trick that I do with my rhacs.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

LOL! Only in a group of herpers would getting a box of roaches be considered a "prize"!

4. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

I felt like it was Christmas at my house the day my colony arrived. My wife was completely repulsed when I plucked one of the mature females out and apologized for man-handling her.

5. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

:D That might be going over the edge... I talk to mine but it is usually more like -- "oh, you are perfect for the frogs, or Gretchen is going to LOVE you!!"

However, I'm not a bit squeamish anymore and have no problems picking through them to find just the right size. Roaches are cool! (I need a bumper sticker;))

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I like playing with our hissing roaches at work, and kids always tell me to make it hiss....

You can't make an animal do something it doesn't want to do, and these guys are handled daily, so humans are not really something they feel threatened enough to hiss at.

7. Dragonscalestudios

So since I got the colony 2 weeks ago, I have an additional 10+ adults that have matured. I also noticed a dozen or so hatchlings! Smaug and Puddleglum LOVE the roaches so the faster they breed, the faster I can do away with crickets all together!

8. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I currently am waiting to hear back about their legality in my state. *crosses fingers*

9. Dragonscalestudios

*crosses finger for Orca*

10. TheRoachRanch

TheRoachRanch Elite Member

You can have roaches in Maine. The only state that we can't ship to is FL. Which is pretty dumb if you ask me. Almost every species of insect in FL has come from either South, Cental America, or Mexico.

BTW my bud was at Daytona last week and was told by The Fish and Game dept rep on hand that it's cool to ship Discoids to FL... This is news to me!

-Ian

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

OK, tell me everything about these discoids....!!!!

12. TheRoachRanch

Discoid Care Sheet

Found this pretty cool caresheet on them for you. They are very similar in upkeep to Dubia. They ARE a little bigger and cannot be sexed as easily as Dubia. You gotta flip them over to see if they are male or female. Same thing as the Dubia... Can't climb or fly.

Here are 3 reputable breeders that usually have discoids.

Aaron at aaronpauling.com
    Chad at Bestroach.com
    James at Blaberus.com

Check it out!

-Ian

13. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Ohh, they sound almost identical to the dubia's. Just one question, the care sheet said they tend to stay at one size for longer periods of time -- does that include longer than the dubia's?

My dubia's seem to grow slowly at first, then zip into adult size. I never get that large/small or small/medium size for long. Which is right where I need them the most.

Just wondering if you knew. With almost 1000 dubia's I doubt I'm changing just curious!

Thanks for the info!

14. TheRoachRanch

The Discoids roll right along like Dubia. I know a lot of people will beg to differ on this. But I like feeding roaches a little bigger than normal. Everyone wants to gauge by between the eyes but in reality animals eat prey MUCH bigger than our measurements in the wild. So I feed my roaches on the larger side since they have WAY less chitin (undigestable material in the exo-skeleton). Haven't had a case of impaction in 10 years and my animals never looked better.

I like the Dubia because they go thru all the sizes, plus they are VERY easy to sex. Discoids are great too but you have to flip them over to see if they are a female or male, where Dubia you just glance at them. Hissers I reserve for the Monitors and turks and lobsters I just stay away from.

Discoids and Dubia are my favorite feeder roach by far though.

-Ian

15. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Turkish are very good feeders because they don't get very big(maybe 1 1/2 inches as adults). The only problem with them is that they are VERY fast and run for cover when scared, unlike the dubia which play dead when scared.