This Disappears When Logged In

Dubia Roach Colony Arrived!

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Dragonscalestudios, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Dragonscalestudios

Dragonscalestudios Elite Member

My roach colony, ordered from Steve's contact, arrived yesterday! If anyone is looking to start a colony, I would definitely recommend this guy. He is polite, prompt and generous. I ordered his smallest starter colony, 100 nymphs and 2 adult pair, and he shipped me ~150 nymphs and 4 adult pairs! All VERY plump healthy roaches that are active and eat like pigs! I fed them 2 mini carrots, 1/4 of a collard leaf and a handful of dry dog food last night at 2100 and it was gone this morning!

PM me or Steve if you need info on ordering roaches.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm needing to look into roaches and I have a few questions as well... Hmmmmm.....

3. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Can you, or someone, post pictures of what the nymphs look like? I want to know if that is what my gargoyle gecko was on for a diet when I got her (those roaches are illegal to have in my state so I can't get them here but I'm curious for the future when I move).

4. Dragonscalestudios

If I can answer them I will, otherwise email or PM me and I can give you his info. Of course, Steve can as well. Orca, I'll have pics for you in a min.

Orca, go to wikipedia and type in Blaptica Dubia. You'll see pics of the adults and juveniles. The juveniles and hatchlings all look identical, only difference is size. Males have wings,females don't. Mine look EXACTLY like what youll see on wiki.

5. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Thanks! I did a quick Google image search and nothing on that was consistent. Yes, those are the roaches my gargoyle was eating. I'm upset I can't get those as feeders here - sick of smelly and noisy crickets.

6. Dragonscalestudios

I hate crickets, funny thing is, people look at me like I am insane when I say that crickets are disgusting and smelly and that I would rather keep roaches.

Whats weird is, the Dubias seem to have kind a sweet disposition, very calm and slow, almost calculated movements, I kind of don't want to feed them to my critters. LOL, I'll get over that when I see the enjoyment in Smaug and Puddleglum's eyes as they happily devoure a juicy roach.

7. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I myself have been considering setting up a 3 tank dubia colony for my geckos. ;)

8. Dragonscalestudios

After finally getting everything in place, with roaches in the bin last night, I am very satisfied that I spent the $$$ and got the wife on board for roaches. The other nice thing about roaches, from what I've read, is that they will not cannibalize like crickets, there is no need for a 3 tank system, unless you are planning to breed a LOT of roaches lol.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

you people make me jealous.

10. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

That's great that things worked out for you so well :)

With that small of a starter colony tho make sure you give it 3-6 months before you feed out of it to heavily, it needs time to establish.
    And, no, the dubia's do not eat eachother. I have about 50-100 1/8th inch babies running around my enclosure all the time. As long as you have food and water for them they pretty much just eat, drink, and breed lol

Anyone that wants to start their own colony can PM me, Dragonscalestudios, or Frognut. We have all bought from the same guy so we all have the info needed to order. He doesn't have a website, I just ran across a classified when doing some research on them (he only runs a classified on 3 sites)

11. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Apparently Maine and Florida are not good states to live in if you love reptiles... *sighs*

12. Dragonscalestudios

Which is weird because California is one of the most Communist states when it comes to owning animals, you'd think they would have more strict laws on insects.

Steve, I do not plan to feed from the colony really at all until it is well established. Though he shipped me twice as many adults as I paid for. I did sneak 3 small ones out for Smaug tonight and holy smokes he is hooked. I am sure Puddleglum will be every bit as eager to try one. He has to wait though, he needs med-large ones.

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Just remember that you only need a 1-3 male/female ratio to have the colony florish, so you can feed the excess males :)

14. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Steve, how large do the roaches need to be to breed? My only concern are the RETF. They are so shy, that there is no way to possibly tong feed or bucket feed and they won't eat out of a bowl. I would have to toss them in the tank and just let them go. Will they burrow down into the dirt? The RETF are small, so only roaches of about 1/2 inch would go in there. The lid is tight, so I'm not worried about them climbing out.

15. Dragonscalestudios

Breeding size is about 1 1/2 inches long.

16. Rich

I will require a large number of roaches. I currently go through roughly 5K mealworms a month. I will need a nice size colony of roaches. ;)

17. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

Liz - I think they will bury themselves. When they got out into the toads tank, I tried to retrieve one and he started burying himself. Don't know how long they would stay buried, but I guess they would need to come up to eat. (if you could put a small pile of carrot in the corner of the tank they would go there, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not)

In another month, I could probably get you enough to start a small colony, and add to it for another month until you get it going. I just received another order of small ones -- and he over packed for me too.

As you know once they get past a certain size I can't use them -- I just need to keep enough of the larger ones to breed. The rest can be shared!

Sorry Dragoness -- maybe this is the sign to move!;)

Oh and the girls at Waffle House think I'm nuts!!! But they save me their egg flats anyway -- and enjoy telling everyone around why I need them when I go in to pick some up!

18. Dragonscalestudios

That sucks that they become unuseable(aside from breeding), luckily for me my dragon LOVES them. I gave him one last night and one today. The larges will do nicely when he gets bigger.

19. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

As long as they are adult they will breed. They become adult in about 4-6 months. They will breed with temps from 75-95F (the hotter it is the faster they breed) and have a constant food supply.

Most of my colony is unusable except for breediig. Thats how you keep the colony going tho, you let some grow up to adult :p

I got 1000 for a starter colony and i already had abot 200. As long as you have the temp around 90-95 and keep the humidity around 50 they will breed like mad. You would only have to wait about a month for it to establish to where you could feed heavily out of it(I only have Buddy to feed so you might want to get more than i did to feed all your herps)

20. Rich

I will be feeding almost 30 geckos with these things. I am thinking that if I end up with more than I need, I can just toss them up on HC's classifieds and get rid of the excess. lol

I could even use them as a contest prize! lol