This Disappears When Logged In

Dubia Colony

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Jessica90, May 1, 2012.

1. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

Can I see some pictures of everyone's Dubia colony's ! My Dubia are dying I'm down to1 female and 2 males

2. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Are you keeping it humid enough? What are you feeding?

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It might be simpler for you to tell us how you are keeping them. Maybe we can pick something out that you are overlooking.

4. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Are you having a mold problem? Post some descriptions of how you're doing it. There's a lot of good advice that was given in getting my colony started down this forum's page a bit, too.

5. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

No mold issue.
    I have a 32 or 36G Rubber maid. I cut a whole out of the top on 1 side and put some screen there and then i stuck in some random egg crate type stuff, some quenchers and the food blend the guy i bought them from sent.
    I started with a 25 dollar starter colony it had like 1 female and like 2 males or so and some mediums and little tiny ones well all my females and males from the origonal set died.
    All i had left was the tiny ones which now theres no more tiny ones but theres 3-4 males and 1 female and from what i see they dont look to be breeding at all .....ive had this colony since Feb and i havent been able to feed from them AT ALL because there slowly dwindling down. :(
    I can post some pictures of my set up if you want i was told they die naturally there bugs so it could just be i just dont have enough to sustain them maybe ? and i definitely dont have enough females which im going today to buy more females.

6. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

yeah give us some pics. i would by another couple 100 when you figure out whats wrong

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

When ordering them, you will want a higher ratio of females to males. A photo would be great!

8. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

Do you know what the humidity is? How are you warming up the box?

What do they look like when you find them dead?

What are you feeding them?

9. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Do you have a heat pad on them? I house mine in a 18 gallon tote, with a 12 inch x 6 inch hole cut in the top, with screen covering the hole, egg crate on one side and a heat pad under the same side (the heat pad is a must if you want them to breed).

Make sure you keep the tub in a warm room too (like you reptile room). As far as feeding goes, I keep dry dog food in their and I peel a banana or half an orange and put that in there every 2 days as a extra form of food as well as a source of water.
    Other food you can put in their are strawberries, various greens and lettuces and carrots.
    I also mist every surface of the tub each night and they come out in droves to drink the droplets of water. You can get the dog food a little wet when misting, but be sure you don't soak it cause that will cause mold.
    If you see ANY sign of mold, remove the roaches to another container and dump all the contents (except the egg crate, unless it has mold on it as well) and clean the tub out. You also must clean the tub out once every month or 2, but make sure you don't dump any baby roaches out with the roach droppings (you'll have to sift through it). With this care, I have them running out my ears!

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes everything dies "naturally". But that sounds like a cop out! The lifespans on roaches are 1-2 years! And while its possible that your adults may have just been old, the small ones would not be dying of old age!
    Sounds like something is wrong here. Can you post photos of your bin?

11. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

Yay finally some photos !! and to answer some questions i have 0 clue what the humidity is because i dont gauge it i didn't know they even needed humidity i made a mistake and my tub is actually 30Gal i am heating it with a under tank heater for a 10gal tank ( im always cold so my house is always in the 73-75 degree range for the most part so with the pad the heat is in the mid to high 80s.) im feeding them a mixture that the roach breeder sent me it looks like saw dust to me haha but its like grains and stuff and i give a half a orange every few days and when i find them sometimes there upside down and sometimes there still like sticking to the egg crate i have to shake them off....
    IMG_1835.jpg
    this is inside my tub
    IMG_1834.jpg
    this is the top of my tub
    IMG_1830.jpg
    and this is ducky just because shes so cute....

Attached Files:

12. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

the clumpy brown stuff in that one bowl is called Bug burgers lol its something the breeder i know at a family owned (i think because its so small lol and all the animals are so well cared for) pet shop uses for his dubia at home and unlike the saw dust **** that my dubia NEVER seem to eat ! they kill this stuff ! so im trying it out.

13. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

i have 31 females now and 3 males and then like prolly 60-70 that i dont even no what they are right now

14. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

Jess, could you just be seeing the shedded skin? Because they do shed and they look like dead dubia but there really just the outside part of the roaches. A dead roach would be the same thickness and not crispy like there skin. They eat them to I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I'm wrong

15. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

these are cripspy and have no insides when i touch them there like light as feathers. like they started deteriorating before i got ahold of them except the female that died she was just straight dead still had like her buggy organs things

16. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

would the shed look EXACTLY like the bug ?

17. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

If its thin and crispy its the shed. If they are still thick and have a little weight to them well then it's a dead roach. I think you just have sheds Jess :p

18. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

but there not making babys !!!

19. bradyloach

bradyloach Elite Member

They sexually mature at like4-6. Months. Maybe there not mature! Just wait a bit. :) mine are going nuts nuts! Babies everywere! The mothers give birth 30 days from matting. They give live birth so give it a couple of weeks and guaranteed you will see babies! How long have you had them?

20. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That empty shell is shed, a freshly sheded dubia is white. Those are the only ones my BD will eat, she funny.
    The female will carry around this long egg sac until the eggs hatch, then she will have them on her until their first molt. So if you see something on the females back end don't disturb her she may drop it.