This Disappears When Logged In

Dubia Breeding?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by MyImmortalWolf, Mar 19, 2014.

1. MyImmortalWolf

MyImmortalWolf Elite Member

I'm considering trying to start a colony of dubia roaches because I've heard they're really good for beardies, quiet and non jumpy, and I hate, hate, hate crickets. *shudders* Don't mind roaches though. It's weird. Anyways...
    1. I have a 10gal fish tank, and I can easily get a rubbermaid tub or something of that nature. Which one would you guys recommend to use?
    2. I've heard that most people use egg carton flats for the dubias. I prefer to use cut-apart ones scattered around the tank for my crickets. Would this work for dubias?
    3. What to feed? Cereal, bran, roach chow...?
    4. I found some people who are offering Dubias for sale near me on craigslist. How can you tell if the roaches are healthy?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Roaches like darkness, so a tote would be better, not to mention lighter to move. But if you already have the tank youo can just cover the sides. The purpose of the eggcrates is to provide more living spaces for the roaches. The 12x12 flats are stood on end next to each other to create nooks and crannies for them to hide in.
    I personally just feed oat bran that I get from the feed store (about 12 bucks for 50 lbs!) and supplement it with vegetable scraps from the kitchen.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Have you seen our care sheet for breeding roaches?

4. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

You should add oat bran and chick starter mash to the feeding section of the care sheet. At the moment it just mentions the standard answer of dog food, cereals, and fish flakes with fruits and vegetables added.