This Disappears When Logged In

Drying out Substrate

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by goldrockin_froggie, Sep 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

Ive noticed when i have a 45 or higher light on a tank that has been recently wet down, it dries up in a matter of a day. Is there a way to not have this happen or is it a daily thing to go in and rewet each time. I have alot of branches in some and its a pain. Will a lower wattage be good enough? My older BP doesn't come out at all with the light on(red) and hides until the lights shut off. Wonder if i should remove that for a few days to get it use to the open more. As my newer BP is very active and greets me when i approach the cage, I think cause it's hungery as it didn't hesitate for a meal either.

2. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

How wet do you keep your tank???? My ball pythons are on newspaper and when the lights are on (they all sleep during the day anyways) it is over the water dish..I never wet anything down they have plenty of humidity...I havent run the lights during the summer...too hot....but its not really good to have it that wet is it?? Good luck...Lyn

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Balancing heat and humidity can be a challenge. If you keep the bottom of the cage constantly wet you are asking for blister disease! If the tank has a screen top the drying can be slowed by blocking some of the top with foil or plastic wrap. Just make sure it can't come in contact with your heat bulb. And leave spaces at both ends for air flow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.