This Disappears When Logged In

Dropsy Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by ranaphile3141, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ranaphile3141

ranaphile3141 New Member

Hi. My name is Pamela, and I apoligize that I couldn't have stepped into this forum on a more positive or inspiring note, but after having 2 yrs free of amphibian catastrophe, it seems that I am having a big frigging problem and I am desperate to hear what anybody has to say.
    I went to my first and probably last reptile fair at the end of April, and I bought a total of 6 frogs, 2 or which died, 1 of which is sick, and 3 that are seemingly healthy.
    The first sign of trouble was when one frog got Red Leg-esque sores three days after purchase. I have been giving her Tetracycline four times a day, and amazingly her sores are just now drying up. The first one that died also seemed very healthy until the day that he became extremely discolored, lethargic, had a seizure and stopped breathing only 8 hours after I noticed anything wrong. The second one to die did the same cycle, but stretched it out over 3 days. He was of course much bigger though.
    Now, after having been washing my hands eight hundred times a day, it is clear to me that one of the frogs that didn't come from the convention is extremely sick, and the antibiotics that I have been giving him for a day don't seem to be working. His symptoms are a bit different in that he is exhibiting behavior similar to that of Dropsy disease that I researched on this website.
    I never would have thought that I would have been able to cure a frog that had Red Leg, but since I seem to have saved my frog infected with that, I cannot give up hope that a little information might spare me the life of the currently sick frog.
    Does anybody know anything about Dropsy or how one might treat it. Is there anyone who has been successful, and if there is, please, I would so much appreciate any info that anyone can give me about what to do and what to expect.
    Thank you so much

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Dropsy is one thing I'm not familiar with. I believe dropsy comes from a bacteria that lives on plants? What does your setup for your frogs look like? What kinds of frog(s)? What are you temps and humidity? Do you have live or fake plants?

Have you considered a trip to the vet? And not a cat and dog vet, but a herp vet.

Have you also looked into it being the fungus Chytrid? People have been having lots of problems with it. Here is a very good thread to read on the topic.
    http://talkto.thefrog.org/index.php?action=vthread&forum=3&topic=14868&page=0

3. ranaphile3141

ranaphile3141 New Member

That is a really informative thread and to be honest, I didn't think that chytrid was something that captive frogs got. I didn't know anything about it until I saw that heartbreaking installment of the BBCs Life In Cold Blood where they catch the last footage of the Panamanian Golden Toad before it went extinct from chytrid. While I hope to God that that isn't my problem I really appreciate the insight

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.