This Disappears When Logged In

Drooly Mouth

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by marya1962, May 24, 2014.

1. marya1962

marya1962 Elite Member

Our redtail boa Silk has been having a "drooly", wet discharge from her mouth. The best way to describe it is a small amount of wet slobbery liquid that can be felt coming from her mouth at times when she's being handled. It is not foamy nor does she whistle or rasp when breathing. Our question is whether or not this "slobber" is normal. Her temps have been running 86 on cold side (UTH) and 86 on warm side (UTH) with the ambient in the low nineties. We had turned off her overhead heater since it was getting the ambient so high, 98-100. The weather has been inconsistent, cold one moment and hot the next day but we try to keep up with the heating in her cage. My biggest fear has been the heat waves. She spends time mostly on her warm side (on the UTH) and feels warm to the touch. The humidity has been giving us fits because we are having to put wet towels in her Boaphile or it drops to 30 percent despite misting, which gets it to 40 percent. The wet towel gets it to 58-65 percent. She is getting ready to shed. Her appetite is normal in that she eats every other week one triple x rat. Her weight is at 23 lbs.

2. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

one thing i can come up with is to put her heat lights and pad on a thermostat to help control the heat.... and second i think excess drool and drainage might be a sign of mouth rot Oral Inflammation (Mouth Rot) in Reptiles | petMD.... i will get her to the vet ASAP.....

3. NoahGotHerpsDewd

NoahGotHerpsDewd Well-Known Member

It has got to be either Mouth rot or a very serious RI. I would go ahead and get to the vet ASAP. Please update! Hope Silk will be okay!