This Disappears When Logged In

Drip Wall Question

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by lulubelle, Sep 9, 2012.

1. lulubelle

lulubelle Well-Known Member

I'd like to have a drip wall for the viv I'm working on. What I'm envisioning is water dripping from about 3 or 4 feet from the floor of the viv and then drip from rock/roots/tree trunk (all made with polystyrene/good stuff) down into her swimming pool below. I don't want a big flow, just to have it look like water is seeping through the rocks.

I saw an multi outlet manifold that can be used to distribute the water source on the wall.

Would a waterfall pump be ok to do this or would a canister filter be better/easier?

2. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

I'm guessing this is for a water dragon? I would be careful with doing something like this as you will have to keep a close eye out for mold/mildew growing on the wet areas.

How much water are you planning on using? (ex. 30 gallon pool?) Most likely you will need to filter the water extensively because she will defecate in it, so a high quality canister filter may be the way to go. I have not done something like this though so cannot say for sure.

3. lulubelle

lulubelle Well-Known Member

Yes, for a water dragon. The pool is only a 8 gallon pond and I'll be able to clean out her pool as often as I need to. I hope it'll just be 1x a week, but we'll see how it goes.

I will definitely keep an eye out for mold. I also thought about having springtails in there as a little clean up crew.

4. Terp91

Terp91 Elite Member

Because your pond is only 8 gallons, you may want to include a separate reservoir under/behind the cage to up that to 30-40 gallons. With so little water (if stay at 8 gal total) I feel like you would be better off just draining, cleaning, and refilling every 1-2 days. If you go that route a smaller filter and pump should be fine.