This Disappears When Logged In

Drip System for the Poor Man

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by HDreptiles, Apr 1, 2011.

1. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Ok, I had a flash of genius today and made a drip system for our tokay gecko. I am not sure if anyone has done this or not, but here you are. First, I am also a fish guy, which is where I got the idea and the supplies. You will need a large plastic container, like a juice or water bottle. I used a 64 oz. Snapple container. An aquarium air gang valve that you can find at any good pet store, and some aquarium air line. I got 26 feet of it at Wal-Mart for like 4 dollars, but I know some pet stores sell it by the foot for rather cheap. You only need like a foot of it or so.

I did not take step by step pictures because I was not certain it would work, but I will explain as best I can. First, take your plastic container and punch a hole in the bottom of it. Not on the very bottom but along the vertical face as close to the bottom as you can. The hole needs to be slightly smaller then your airline. Next take a 2 or 3 inch piece of airline and trim one end to a point.

2. geckograndma

geckograndma Well-Known Member

Is it somewhat like the one they already have listed here...?
    Drip Watering System
    and has anyone ever put one going into a gecko's moist hide?

3. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Next, inert the pointed end of the airline in the bottle and the gang valve in the other end of the airline pushing it as far in the bottle as possible. It should look like this:
    IMG_1568.jpg

Attached Files:

4. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Next punch a small hole in the top of the bottle to allow atmospheric pressure to push water out of the air line. This is what you should have:
    IMG_1569.jpg

Attached Files:

5. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Next attach a piece of airline a few inches long to the end of the gang valve not in the bottle. This is the line that will direct the water into the terrarium. This is what you should have:
    IMG_1567.jpg

Attached Files:

6. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Next, fill the bottle with water, adjust the gang valve and place it where you want it. Hopefully this will work out well. If you get a bit of a leak around the gang valve to bottle connection, a little aquarium silicone should help. I think my total cost on this was about 7 dollars. If you get less airline then I did, or get some for free, it will be even cheaper. I have had mine running for about an hour now, and the humidity has already gone up about 10%. It may be different for you, but it is still in the experimental stages. I will keep this updated with its progress and shortcomings. I will also try to make another one and get some more pictures. If you do happen to make one, let me know how it works for you. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with and hearing what you have to say.

Pretty much, but mine is adjustable. And that is something I will have to try next.

I actually made this last night, but could not get it to post for some reason. I also managed to get a pic of Taquito drinking the water.
    IMG_1570.jpg

Attached Files:

7. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Great that he is using it! Taquito is a smart little guy!

8. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Yeah, now if he would only eat the worms I got him.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mine(the one in the tutorial) is adjustable as well via the air valve.
    If you make the hole in the top of the bottle instead of the bottom and just let the suction from the water siphoning down move it, there is no leakage problem.
    It would put too much water into the hide.

10. SolidSnake

SolidSnake New Member

That's a really inventive idea... I always look for cost saving ideas for my guys... and girl. I just made a natural looking hide box for my Jungle Corn.. It cost me about $3 dollars to make not counting the sphagnum moss for the inside, but I got about a years worth for $6. I'll post pics soon.

11. goldenjade

goldenjade Active Member

Excellent! Great idea...will be trying this soon.

12. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

I was just looking at the one I have made, and was thinking of adding some silicone to the bottom outlet to stop the leak. I will update with how that works. And thank you.

13. Merlin

The silicone will not stick well to the plastic and the tubing moving around will open the leak again. Instead of making the hole in the bottom of the water container, make it in the top and run a tube down to the bottom. The siphon action will keep it going. DSCF1889.jpg

Attached Files:

14. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Merlin, I feel like we had this convo before. Lol. I am going to have to try that one next. It will be a later experiment though as I have no need for a dripper at the moment. I would like to know what type of enclosure you have that on though. Is it a DIY one? Do you have a thread or pics somewhere?

15. Merlin

16. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Now I remember. I did see that cage and thought it was amazing. What type of cage is he in now? Do you have thread for it? And do you have a thread for the old one as well?

17. Merlin

18. HDreptiles

HDreptiles Elite Member

Thanks man. I think I found out what I am going to get for my fiancee now, Lol. She really wants a chameleon, but I didn't know what I could do about housing.