This Disappears When Logged In

drinking/eating/lost water-help

Discussion in 'Reticulated Pythons' started by okreptilerescue, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. okreptilerescue

okreptilerescue Elite Member

ok- we got a little bity retic in a week ago. When we brought her in- she went straight in the hide and HID!! I haven't seen her again until tonight.

She's in decent health- she's dehydrated and a bit skinny and has a lot of shed left on her but is gentle.

I saw her out moving around so I grabbed a fuzzy out of the freezer- thawed it and offered it- she grabbed it and ate it up! I came back a bit later and she had found the water dish and was drinking- when i stopped to look at her- she popped up and wanted more- so I got another fuzzy and brought it to her- she grabbed it and when she curled around it- water went everywhere- I thought it was in the mouse fur but its slimy and way too much.

I certainly didn't want to take the 2nd fuzzy from her so i let her be.
    This has been 15-20 minutes ago and she hasn't lost any fuzzies.

Should I be worried about the water re-gurge?

Thanks

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

She probably just had some water in her mouth and throat when she coiled the fuzzy. I don't think you have to worry about it. It sounds like she was just too excited aobut the fuzzy to finish swallowing the water.
    But keep her temperatures up now that she's digesting and try not to let anything stress her too much.
    Let us know how she gets on.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hi Bethany!
    I agree. I suspect that the snake had not fully swallowed all the water and in the excitement some of it regurgitated. Just keep an eye on it.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

I too agree that it was just sitting water that hadn't been swallowed yet. It could be that the initial rodent was actually blocking the way for the water to go, so when it constricted, the water just resting there and waiting its turn just shloshed back out. lol

5. okreptilerescue

She's doing great today- good and warm- laying in the heat all streched out and is much more alert today. I have 2 baby beardies that came from the same house she did in a cage above her and when I fed them earlier- she popped up and streched out to the side of the cage- acting hungry- and i'm sure she still is with as skinny as she is=
    I'll feed her a bigger mouse in a few days and see what happens- she's just totally different after those fuzzies- and there hasn't been anymore water gush out of her- I'd never seen that- but we don't have many that come in with such poor conditions and that dehydrated either.

thanks for the responses- I lurk around here a lot and will definatly stick around- this is an awsome place!!
    Beth

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't doubt she is different after the fuzzies. Once her body began absorbing the nutrients, she found some lost strength. lol

Glad to hear you will be sticking around. We have a fondness for this place too. ;)

7. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

As a retic owner, i will say to remove the hide. It will cause problems later on. flighty snake, fearful, and when you stick your hand in to change the water youll get bite as a possiblitly. Also ill suggest in tank feedings and hook train it while it is young. Think about the later when it gets bigger, you dont want it to be a diffrent feeding box and when you open the box it strikes. So hook train it so that it knows the diffrence between feeding and handling.

Also how big is it? Got any pics? Fuzzies maybe a bit small. If its a hatchling it can take rats.

The water think is like this. Its like a dog, it will get a bunch of water then let it run out. Thats what the retic does it dont swallow all the way. My male does the same thing after his bath time. I asked a few breeders and Pat Powers told me that.

8. okreptilerescue

I have removed the hide- I just took her and the tank from the rental property - i transported her in a pillow case and figured why get another cage dirty the day after cleaning day- today was cleaning day and we got a new set up.
    I don't use hides with many of our snakes- waiting a bit and letting her chill was much easier- haven't had any problems with her.
    We've got some bigger girls out there that are our personal babies- none of them have hides but i use driftwood and theres an area in each cage where they can go in the corner and be a bit more secluded- large logs of driftwood around one corner- if that makes sense.
    She is big enough for a large adult mouse but since she had regurged the one that was in the cage when i picked her up- i didn't want to give her something large- smaller is easier to get down and easier to get back up if she felt the need.
    I gave her a huge adult mouse about an hour ago and she went right after it and its staying down- soooo next week- we'll move up again to the proper size.

as for the water- I have seen them dribble water out before- regularly but this was sooo much- it startled me a bit. this little girl is only about a finger around and right at 3 feet long- and she lost near the same amount that i've seen our 16 - 19 footers dribble. now- unless our bigger girls are just less messy- that seems like a lot of water....

either way- she's fine now- I put a tupperware box in with some damp moss inside- with a hole in the tupperwaere so she can get in and out- i took it out just before i fed her- she's gotten the rest of that shed off of her- she got quite a bit off in the water bowl but there was some left and i really hate to jack with them a lot when they're new here- only seems polite.

we're doing good- she's layed out on the heat again- doing great- calmed down quite a bit more after that mouse went in- i under estimated her ability to keep food down- but didn't want to take a chance.
    thanks
    Beth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.