This Disappears When Logged In

Driftwood

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by btobin3104, Oct 11, 2010.

1. btobin3104

btobin3104 Member

I am having a hard time finding good sized pieces of driftwood. Anyone have a suggestion where to find fairly priced driftwood?

2. Frognut

Frognut Subscribed User Premium Member

The only place I have seen decent priced drift wood is at our local Herp Show's. Unless of course you can run to the beach and search for some...;)

The pet stores are all overpriced.

3. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

How big and how much? I am not cheap. I find it everywhere. LOL Look up reef places they should have stuff.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I just go to lakes and rivers. I refuse to pay the jacked up prices for what is the rest of the time considered debris.

5. Rofeki

Rofeki New Member

What solution do you use to rid the driftwood of parasites? I use a 4.1 ratio of water to bleach.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I generally use a hot water scrub and then a 1-5 solution. By wetting the wood down first it keeps the bleach from soaking too deeply into the wood. Rinse and air dry untill no bleach scent remains.

7. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

I do the above with the bleach and water. We then bake it at a low temp to kill anything else and dry it out thoroughly. The soaking also helps remove the tannins in the wood.

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Much cheaper by far to scavenge your own if you can. If you can't find someone who can, and ask them. It'll still be cheaper than paying $45 at the pet shore, even if you have to drive an hour to get it, lol.