This Disappears When Logged In

Double Critter Nation

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by Quoth the Raven, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Nice to meet everybody!
    Let me just start off by saying that the only animals in the critter nation right now are my pet rats, no reptiles of any kind. However, my boys are two years old, and I'm on the fence about getting more after they pass, I love my rats, but their lifespans are so short and its hard to say goodbye so often.
    That being said, I have been wondering if there were any reptiles that could comfortably live in the cage. I have heard a trick about taking the side panels off, and using zips ties to hold the top beside the bottom part of the cage for more floor space, and I would be willing to mod the cage to a certain extent for whatever animal would be living in it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

Welcome to HC! :)

Can you post pictures of the cages you want to use?

Also if they are wire cages they probably won't work.

3. Thank you! :D

I can't post pictures of my current cage (my phone won't transfer them to the computer), but its a standard double Critter Nation wire cage.
    I figured the wire would be a problem, but I thought there might be a way to put plexi-glass or some other animal safe material on it to act as a solid floor and keep heat in.

Here's a stock picture from google (the chinchillas are for size reference, this cage is huge), the shelves, ect can be removed, and the dimensions are 36"L x 24"W x 63"H.
    upload_2016-1-9_21-2-7.jpeg 1491873-right-1.jpg

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

That'd be a good cage for a bird or something, but with reptiles you really want something with solid walls.

Was there any reptile or amphibian in specific you were looking at getting?

5. It would, I kinda want a parrot, but I rent and everyone would hate me, haha.

As far as for the cage, not really, I just wondered if there was a way to mod it for one. I know it will fit almost anything, as far as feathers and fur go (kept two kittens in it once to tame them down, and they had plenty of room), so I figured I'd ask about how it could do reptile wise.

It will be another month or two before I could get one, but I've been trying to find some good beginner reptiles (this would be my first one ever) and read up on em. Mainly, I want to be able to pet/hold it, and see a bit of personality.
    What has come up with google so far are Blue Tongue Skinks, Bearded Dragons, and various geckos.

If you know of any others I would love to hear about them. :)

6. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I really don't think reptiles will do good in a cage like that. The only possibility that I would do, is to put screen up on the sides and that would be good for a chameleon. However, I would say chameleons are a little more "advanced". Honestly, petco is having their $1 per gallon sale until the 23rd, I would pick up a 40 gallon and get a beardie or a BTS if you really wanted one. Of course you would need to do more research though.

7. I just thought there might be a way to close it in to make it suitable, I got the idea when a friend used laminate flooring on the wire bottom of her cage to giver her rats a solid floor to walk on, but if it won't work, then it won't work. I'm not dead set on using it. :)

I've read just enough about chameleons to know they're out of my league for now. As are iguanas, they get too big for someone renting, and I read that their diets are hard to balance.

I won't say I'm anywhere near an expert, but I've looked up a lot of information about BTS, and I think I'm starting to get a handle on what they need. I'm not confused seeing all the reptile terms now, its a start!

Though I have a question that hasn't been addressed in any of the forums I've read through, aside from diet changes (such as the protein:green ratio for BD), is there a big advantage of getting a baby BTS or BD, vs an adult? I know (in general) that the energy level is different, but is there a big difference when you tame them down when young, or will the adult animal grow to be just as calm with regular handling?

Thanks for all the help!!

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Hi there, and welcome to HC. Based on what I've read in this thread so far, I think you'd be best off if you decide first if you want a reptile or not. If you do, sell the wire cage, then decide on the specific reptile you want, and use the money to buy or build the proper habitat. You might be able to mod the wire cage to work, but the time, money, and trouble spent doing so and getting everything right would be better spent on doing it right from the start.
    As for raising one from a baby or getting an adult, it can be very difficult to calm down an adult if it wasn't handled while young. Not necessarily impossible, but still...

9. It would be a little while down the road before I could do anything to/with the cage, my rats are two years old right now, and their expected life span is in the 2-3 year range (though they might even make it to four years if I'm super lucky), they're still active and happy right now, so its un-telling just how long it will be (being realistic).

If it would be better to just buy/make something instead, then that's what I'll do. I just thought that since its so big, if it could be done it would make a nice place for something to live, but I know that it can't always be done.

I think I've decided I want a reptile. When I figure out which one, and when exactly I'll be getting one, I'll post again on here to make sure I've researched enough to care for it properly. And now I know I definitely want a baby, thanks! :)

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

10. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Sounds like your on the right track. I'll just add a couple more things for you to think about. First, as you already know, do your research. Once you get it narrowed down to one or two animals, come back and ask about them, see if there is anything you missed. Next, once you do make that final decision on what you want, get the cage and work on getting the setup right. One of the most common mistakes we see is someone getting an animal and either having the wrong caging or none at all before bringing it home. In any case, don't be in a rush to pick up the actual animal.

11. I'll keep that in mind. I'm trying to look at the animals recommended for beginners, but that's still a little bit of a long list. Though I for sure want a CB baby. I'd also like to go to a pet store and 'meet' whichever animal I've decided on (or the one I'm torn between to help decide).

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

You might want to look for a local breeder or even a show in your general area instead. You'll get a better deal, and especially when buying from a breeder you will usually have someone who is willing to help you out with any issues. Pet stores, especially big chains, tend to have more interest in selling you products than educating you. Also less risk of brining home something nasty, like parasites or illness. Of course there are good stores too, just like there are breeders who are jerks. At any rate, just more food for thought. There's a lot to think about, especially since your going from animals who generally live only a few years, to animals that can easily live 20+ in many cases.

13. There's a reptile expo I'd like to go to in about a month, I've never been to one before, I'm excited!

I've read up on the whole pet store vs breeder issue, and I know I'll definitely get a healthier animal from a breeder. I mainly just want to see a few in person and maybe hold them, I thought pet store since I don't know any breeders in the area. But, if I can bring myself to pay the pretty penny for shipping, I'll order one online, otherwise I'll probably wait for the expo and get one AFTER I've decided and researched.

My first rat was mostly an impulse buy, I looked into keeping them a bit, but I should have read more before I actually bought one. He didn't seem to mind the less the ideal cage though, and he was a spoiled little guy.
    I'll never forget his first bath, he kept trying to climb out of the tub (which had warm water and toys) and I finally snapped my fingers and told him no more firmly....he fell off the side of the tub (on purpose) back into the water. Rats are goofs.