This Disappears When Logged In

Dont Know What to Say

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by sooperdave, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

So I made a pool for my water dragon with some plexi glass and silicon. I had two pieces of it cut at ace hardware. Two different sizes, cause I wanted to make sure at least one of them fit. I had them both cut 3 and a half inches, which would be the height of the water. Then I headed over to PetSmart to get one of the reptofilters, only to find that the water has to be at least 4 inches to work. So....I had to overlap one with the other and it turned out that both of them were a bit too long. So I had to curve them a little bit. Sealed em up with silicon and waited two long days while keeping Luigi in a smaller tank and taking him out as much as I can to get him outta there. The time finally came to fill 'er on up with some water just find out that it leaks. It seeped over to the dry side and all the coco fiber is floatin on it, it looks like a swamp. Words can't describe how upset I am.

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm sorry you are having such troubles! I would suggest taking the plexi out and taking it back to Ace and asking them to trim the edge down some. And actually if you have to go back anyways, your safest bet would be to get a new piece cut to the height you want it. (I would suggest 4.5 -5 inches so there is an inch or so above the water level) You want it to be as close of a fit as possible. If you have to bend it to get it in, chances are it's gonna leave a gap somewhere. Good Luck!

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yeah, that happened to me and my toad tank. It's all about trial and error.

4. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Yea I definitely realized that. I think what I'm going to do is eliminate the plexi altogether and just fill the entire tank with 4 inches of water and then use big rocks to make one side higher and put coco husk on top of that for the dry area.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is going to get really messy, really quick. Each time the dragon walks by the edge of the water, coco-husk is going in. Each time he climbs in and out of the water, coco-husk is going in. The filter will be clogged in a day or so once the coco-husk reaches it.

If you decide to try the Plexiglas again, don't add the coco-husk until the wall has been tested.Add a small amount of water, see if it leaks. If it doesn't, the leak is not below the water line. Add some more and watch again. If it ends up leaking, you will at least be able to isolate the location.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You want the plexi to fit precisely, By bowing it you are putting pressure on the plexi seal and compounding the problem. Also the fact that you were able to bend the plexi to fit tells me that you are using too thin of plexi. You want it to be as immobile as possible to prevent any flexing of the wall. I would go at least 0.90 but a 1/4 inch thick would be better. Any movement of the plexi will stress your seal and enable leakage to occur.
    A good way to locate the leakage area is to completely dry the land side. Take strips of tissue or paper towel and line the joints on the dry side. Now fill the water area. The point of the leakage will quickly become obvious.

7. schlegelbagel

If you fill the whole bottom with water, I wouldn't use coco-husk at all. This will raise the humidity a great deal and as long as the WD has the ability to be out of the water, like on large rocks, you should be good.

8. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

You could also go for the "easy" method. Get a rubbermaid container that will fit in the space you want it and use that...

9. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

I was. I was using a kitty litter box. The whole point of this project was to get the humidity up and make the tank look more natural. I also wanted to stop having to change the water every day.

Now shlegelbagel. I got the water going and I used the coco husk but my humidity is still reading low, like 45- 50 and I'm running out of options. And Rich, you are right about it getting messy. This morning the water was a dark orange and there were a bunch of bubbles near the filter. I don't know what's causing the bubbles but there were none the first night. Surprisingly though, there really isn't any bedding floating around in the water, but it's just not as clean looking as it was.

So I can actually get rid of all substrate and just use large rocks and aqarium rocks? I just don't know what else to do about the humidity.

10. schlegelbagel

No aquarium rocks. You don't need anything on the floor, its fine with just the glass.

What is your top made out of? Is it mesh? if it is, cover the area where there are no lights with some sort of plastic. Heck, make good use of your un-used plexi and tape it to the top of your screen.

Your humidity is escaping somewhere. You need to stop the escape.

11. Merlin

The contamination of the water is what is causing the bubbles. The bedding in the water is releasing tannins and other organic material which causes the surface of the water to have a slight film which froths with the movement of the water out of the outflow and traps the bubbles. In extreme cases it will almost look like whipped topping!

12. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

I actually have most of the top covered with plexi glass, but it's not taped or sealed. And whats wrong with aquarium rocks? I'll take them out if I should.

Merlin, is that going to present a big problem? I can remove the coco husk if it is.

13. schlegelbagel

If they are small enough to eat, they shouldn't be in the enclosure.

In my fire belly tank, which is similar to yours, I have plexi-glass covering all areas where the hood isn't, and I used silicone to attach it, so there is a good seal. In my pacman tank I have the plexi taped down (mostly because I got lazy) but it does the same thing.

Tape it down, it might make all the difference in the world.

14. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

I just might have to do that

15. Merlin

Does the filter system you are using have activated charcoal?
    This should filter out some of the organics.

16. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

17. schlegelbagel

Yes, it has charcoal in the filter. I have that too.

18. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Ok good. How often do you change yours by the way?

19. The JD

The JD Elite Member

You're gunna have the same problem I have, with dirt getting in the water tank everytime the lizard goes back and forth. I have filters, the problem is they do a great job and catch all the dirt and clog often. I'm working on different solutions, one of them is using my dirt box as a natural filter. I know it's working somewhat because there's small sediment piles where the water drips into the dirt box. But, my filters are still clogging. I'm thinking of making a custom filter with just a series of physical traps that are easily maintained to catch the dirt. It'll have to pump a lot of water so it'll catch the dirt before my bio filters do.

20. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

But see, if I had used plexi glass to seperate the bedding from the water, there isn't much of a difference there in the sense that the dirt is still close to the water. He would still track some of it in. And really, the water does not appear to have any bedding floating around in it. It's just turning an orange hue. I'll check the filters when i go home and see how dirty they are. I just want the water to be safe for him do drink because he has been drinking it quite a bit. Right now there is almost more water than land. There is still plenty of dry land for him including branches and whatnot that go over the water, but he really loves that water. He stays in it more than the dry area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.