This Disappears When Logged In

Does My Snake Think Im Prey??

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by Ptrkshine617, May 14, 2012.

1. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

I recently purchased a eastern kingsnake about a month and a half ago, he was 6 months old. He was very docile amd tame when being handled. But now whenever i put my hands near his cage he slithers towards it very slowly and determined as if he was goin after a mouse. any insight on why he is doing this would help???

2. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Always trust a snake to be a snake... ;)

Curiosity, checking you out.

Just make sure your hands are clean, and you will be fine.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Hungry snakes look got food, fingers are warm pink and wiggly. Is your snake hungry?

4. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

I think he might be.......... im going to the petshop to get him two fuzzies in an hour

5. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

I also have one more question at night he likes to mess up his cage and flip over one of his hid boxes always the same one. is this normal???? I guess i shouldnt have named him chaos LOL

6. Knox

Knox Elite Member

I will not speak for others, but every single - and I mean EVERY single King I have ever had loved to bite me for no apparent reason. (Black, Cali, Brook's) If they were docile at first, they seemed to grow into biters.

Now, it doesn't hurt, it is just unnerving. I have had 3 Milks, and neither has ever offered to bite like their King cousins.

They are still great snakes - just full of personality.

7. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

Good to know Thanks for the info. I hope he calms back down though because hes gonna be huge hes only 7 months old and hes about 2 feet long!!!

8. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Kingsnakes are not necessarily known for being docile.

Think about it, in the wild they eat rattlesnakes for snacks.

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

And with great vigor :p

10. Ptrkshine617

Ptrkshine617 Member

Yea they do eat them, but they actually are known in the pet trade for being docile. I think he might just be an aggresive individual.

11. Melissa747

Melissa747 Elite Member

Oh man... I hope my girl isn't a meanie when she grows up. :(

12. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

If this snake is not an adult yet it should be fed more than a fuzzy or two once a week.....
    He is showing a feeding response.......he is hungry........in my somewhat expert opinion.....
    If set up properly with a thermal gradient and humidity options it will want to eat two to three times a week.....
    Frequent handling will calm the snake down but it is difficult to handle when the snake is being fed like it should.....this is one of the many reasons I don't handle most of my kings.......

13. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

I disagree. I've had kings for about 12 years and they were all agressive as babys. They are now dosil as a ball python. They always mess there tank up at night. Try feeding him a medium mouse at his size. Plus if he's two foot long he can't be that young with proper feeding as far as I'm consurned. At a year there that big with good feeding. Sounds to me like he needs bigger pray and he wont be so agressive.

14. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Who are you disagreeing with twice?
    Me?.....lol

15. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

Kingsnakes are not naturally agressive in captivity. If I'm ****ing you off get off the site

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Excuse me, but YOU need to leave the telling of who is and is not to be on this site to the staff!
    He was not mad, just joking that you posted your response twice.
    One of which I removed.

That said I have had a kingsnakes that were biters and others which were not. Just because you have had docile kingsnakes does not mean that there cannot be aggressive individuals.

17. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

Not mad at all.....
    I'd like to hear bigboas' opinions as I know my collection of over 200 kings for two decades very well...

I just believe I already forgot more than he/she/it may know....

Remember....
    It is best to be thought a fool and remain silent than to open ones mouth and remove any doubt.......lol

18. Jlassiter

Jlassiter Elite Member

To the OP,
    Merlin is correct in stating that each king has it's individual personalities along with characteristics....

Case in point....
    He is showing a feeding response.....
    Feed him well and handle him in between feedings.....
    He will soon calm down......

Btw everyone....
    Check out the July issue of Reptiles magazine...
    There's a great article in there about Mexican kingsnake husbandry that I wrote....
    These husbandry techniques apply to most North American colubrids.

19. bigboas

bigboas Elite Member

I've had a lot of king eastern, western kings. I don't know why you would tell someone that there mostly agresive snakes. I did pop off a litlle soon your right. I've just never come in contact with a mean king before honistly. My blmk wasn't mean and from whut I've heard there the most agressive. I didn't mean to **** anyone off. But to say whut you said is not common in my exp. I do feel strong in everything I post.

20. justor

justor Elite Member

Did he actually say somewhere that they are mostly aggressive? I'm re-reading to see if I missed something, but all I see is Jlassiter saying they have big appetites when young, and he doesn't handle them because they usually have a meal digesting if they're eating 2-3 times a week. A feeding response is not aggression obviously.