This Disappears When Logged In

Does Anyone Use Peat Moss/potting Soil

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by treasureisland, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just curious if anyone uses peat moss or potting soil for their pets. What are the pros/cons if you have.:confused:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Re: Does Anyone Use Peat Moss/potting Soil?

Not peat moss. I use a combination of ORGANIC potting soil and coconut husk shred, that comes in the compressed bricks. It has to be organic.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I use a mixture of potting soil, dirt and sand for my monitors. It works could for holding humidity required for keeping burrows intact.
    My enclosures are sealed as much as possible though. Use potting soil without a sealed enclosure and the heat lamps will dry it out rather quickly. You don't want to be adding water on a daily basis to soil, as it becomes quite mucky.

4. schlegelbagel

It really depends what critter you are using the soil for. So what ARE you using the soil for? Its different for different herps.

5. Re: Does Anyone Use Peat Moss/potting Soil?

Is their a reason you say no peat moss? Or you just dont use it?

I currently am using potting soil(yes it is organic! no perlite/vermiculite/fertilizers) & peat moss mix for my golden gecko, & a rose hair tarantula. My friend keeps his emperor scorpions, and rose hair tarantula on just potting soil. And, I have another friend who keeps his BP on peat moss. I was mostly asking about how BP would do on soil/moss substrate, because I am getting 3 very soon - and I have a huge bag of both. But I was curious to see if people were using this type of mixture, with what animals, and if they would recommend it or not.

6. schlegelbagel

Its not that you shouldn't, I just don't like it personally in my own mix.

7. zaroba

zaroba Elite Member

all of my snakes are on cocofiber. its cheap, easy to scoop out there waste, and it holds moisture well.

as for peat/potting soil, the substrate in my huge viv housing 2 Leucs is roughly a 1/1/2 mixture of sphagnum peat moss, pine bark chips, and organic top soil. some of the higher parts of the viv are just a 1/1 mixture of sphagnum and soil. don't really think there are pros and cons to most substrates. its mostly just preference as long as they wont harm the animal.

8. mambaman

mambaman Elite Member

I bought some soil type substrate from the pet store one time for my ball python I didnt like it. It got stuck on him and it got in his water bowl from it getting stuck to him then him going for a soak.

9. MRHickey

MRHickey Elite Member

I personally don't like it because it messes up the water really bad and can cause the snake to look dirty. I used to use it for my corns because they like to burrow in it, but it wound up being better to just use hides and carpet the enclosure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.