This Disappears When Logged In

Does Anyone Know What This Is?

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by JayKa, Sep 17, 2010.

1. JayKa

JayKa Well-Known Member

This is the second time i found one of these in my room. The first time it was a smaller one and i let it go in my back yard. Now this morning i found this one covered in dust and had its back legs tangled in hair so i squirted him with water n gentle untangled him. Im going to let this one go later on in the day when it gets warmer because its really cold out.

2010-09-17080323.jpg

2010-09-17080515.jpg

2010-09-17080506.jpg

2010-09-17080315.jpg

Its so cute lol

Attached Files:

2. Cyclura08

Cyclura08 Well-Known Member

where are you located? It's got a plethodontine body form. The common name for the group is the "slimy salamanders". I'm not sure of the species though.

oh and it would be much better to release him at night. Salamanders are normally nocturnal, very tolerant of the cold and in fact, he'd probably dry out from being exposed in the sun. Release him in a cool, shady, damp spot like some leaf litter or near a creek. Plethodontids (if that is in fact what it is) are a terrestrial species but still rely on damp habitats to survive.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Yep, some sort of salamander. Has it been dry out? If so he's probably looking for damp. If you could let him go near the edge of a pond or creek, that would be the best.

4. JayKa

JayKa Well-Known Member

I live in Lynn,MA in the U.S. Does it eat crickets or meal worms because i dont know if its hungry and i have crickets and mealworms for my leo and water dragon. Ill let it go later on at night then. I just found out it can walk up glass if that helps a little more.

No its been raining out

5. Cyclura08

Cyclura08 Well-Known Member

awesome, then it's the perfect weather to let him go...again just make sure it's tonight.

They eat pretty much anything they can fit into their mouths like small crustaceans, slugs, worms, insects etc. It's probably not necessary to feed him but you could try if you have your heart set on it.

6. schlegelbagel

I wouldn't worry about feeding it, or letting it go tonight. you could just put it outside now. It will find a nice dark place to nap for the afternoon. Less stressful than being inside for a day.

7. JayKa

JayKa Well-Known Member

Yea my room is in the basment so i get a lot of creepy crawlies that sneak in. Do you think that they could be reproducing outside of my room? Because this is the second one in the same week.

8. schlegelbagel

Its coming up on winter, they are looking for places to hibernate.

9. JayKa

JayKa Well-Known Member

Oh ok. Thanks :)

10. BDSkinner

BDSkinner Member

It looks to be a Red-backed Salamander, (Plethodon cinereus). Did you end up letting it go?