This Disappears When Logged In

Does Anyone Here Have Any Experience with Links Road Animal Clinic?

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by skelly98, Jun 22, 2012.

1. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

so that was my last post... anyways, the links road animal hosptial in toronto is the closest to where i live, and i was wondering if anyone had any experience with these guys? i saw some pretty nasty reviews, along with some pretty good ones, and i was wondering if anyone here has dealt with these guys before? lol sorry for asking this, i just want to know their attitudes towards reptiles and if they are any good with reptiles?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I have no experience with this animal hospital, but I would like to know how your MHD is being kept, type of enclosure, substrate, humidity, temps and what you are using to measure them.

3. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

he is a recent accusisiton from a pet store i will not name. he is in a 32x19x19 tank, but i had no time to build a bigger one, but i will once summer comes. the temps are 75-85 degrees, with a basking spot of 90. the humidity is eighty, with a water pool with moving water and enough room to soak if he sees fit. he has 5.0 uvb, and a infrared bulb to keep the basking side warm, along with a heat cable beneath the tank. i am meausuring this with a temp gun, and a electric humidity gauge.

4. mshrmheadcharge

Yikes! That is WAY TOO HOT! Your temps should never be higher then 84 deg with these guys! Aim for 78 during the day at 72 at night. Your humidity needs to be 70-80 percent. These numbers are very important for the health of your MHD. Also, it is important to provide lots of coverage for them, and areas where the light is filtered by fake plants

5. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i have the shaded area... like i said, he is a recent purchace, but i turned down the heat lamp and the temps dropped a little, the basking is now 83-85, and the average temp is now 75-78. but i have only had him for a few days, as he is a recent purchace, so i think he may be sick. that is why i want to take him to the vet. :) i'm sure he'll get better with vet help :) anyways, i had the temps up because i heard that jacked-up temps help with reptilian healing.

6. mshrmheadcharge

Good job on fixing the temps :). I understand that he is a recent purchase and that he may be sick, but it is still vital to provide the best husbandry possible. He is probably stressed and trying to get use to his new home. Until his vet visit you should cover the sides of his enclosure to help him feel more secure. Good luck! When is his appointment?

7. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

i don't know yet.. yesterday i filled out an online form for tomorrow at 12:30, so i hope then, but they are supposed to contact me... but i will get him in as soon as possible. anyways, i am not too worried, the amp boost seems to be working and he is gaining back some strength... so i think he'll be fine, but i still want to see the vet.

8. mshrmheadcharge

What is an amp boost?

9. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

Amazon.com: Fluker's Repta+Boost Insectavore & Carnivore High Amp Boost, 1.8 oz.: Pet Supplies

it is a complete nutritional supplement for carnivorous lizards, along with being a high-energy feed for sick lizards. i wont use it as a perm diet, as i think that the nutritonal value of it may not be the same as insects, but its working! he's holding his head up more, and being more active and alert. almost to healthy dragon alert and active. i still think he needs a vet though, he goes into cryptic conservation posture whenever i put him in the bath. and he wont run up my arm or off my hand, so i think it may be best to see a vet. but in three days, it is quite an improvement over half dead! the vet still hasnt contacted me, but at the rate he is going he might make it on his own. still wont risk it though, i like him and the vet will be the best help for him.

10. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

That product will definitely help to keep him going! But I agree, a vet trip is in order. Keep us posted

11. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

well, the vet still hasent contacted me, and apparently it is hard to get an appointment, and when you do they are expensive, and the next closest is apparently too far for my dad to drive, so i'm in a bit of a pickle...... i think he could get better on his own, but i dont really want to risk it... any suggestions?

12. mld

Did you register and set up an appointment?

There is a phone # you can call
    They are open until 2pm on Saturday and closed on Sunday;

13. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

tried calling, got a busy tone. apparently they go busy for days at a time, according to the reviews. and the other vet got reviews saying same-day appointments, but dad says to far. i'm gonna work on dad though, it might just take a few days.

14. mshrmheadcharge

You have only had this lizard for a couple of days, you should not be handling him yet...you need to minimize stress level at this point and giving him a bath and force handling does not help reduce stress...

15. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

oh, i forgot to mention, he has stuck shed on his tail, really bad. and i thought he needed the instant boost, he was half dead, after all.

i figured the boost was the only way to go, because a lizard that won't eat won't get better, but a lizard that does eat will get better, to some extent- so i started with the repta boost, and it's making a massive difference. he tried to reject the syringe and bite me just now, so i think he is getting better. if i should stop with the bathing, thats what i'll do, but he has tail shed stuck pretty bad... anyways, i still think he needs a vet, but i'm going to wait a bit, dad is starting to get annoyed with my requests and might just say "take him back to petsmart", and the little guy is making a great recovery on his own, so i think it might just have been a nutritonal issue with him. so now, according to my dad's request, i will wait to take him to the vet. (dad noticed the difference, to), but i think he'll be fine for a few more days, he's only gaining strength, at this point.

Bad news. he just vomited up alot of stuff, including stuff i havent even fed him (so stuff he ate in the pet store), and had diahhrea really bad. now he looks very tiny, but seemingly more alert and active- could it be something in his stomach causing this? he made improvement with the formula, then vomited all the formula back up, then started getting more active- what the **** do i do now? i talked to dad and we're going to make an appointment with the far away vet, soon as he gets home. so i think we'll have him in in the next few days.

16. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

okay, so i got a appointment with links road animal hospital for saturday. (this was the closest i could get), and i am waiting. i am giving him 1.5 cc of the repta+boost a day, and he seems to be doing fine. less active, wich is bad news, but i just hope he makes it till the vet.

17. mld

Sending prayers your way!

18. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

ok, so it is the day before the vet- and he is doing better, holding his head up after feeding time/watering time (with the syringe), and
    clinging to my hand when i pick him up. he is also aggressivley biting the syringe, perhaps showing a predatory response towards the syringe fluid? i dont know, but he is doing better, and the vet will be able to fix him, im positive. all in all, i see him doing well :)

19. mld

Glad that he is taking fluids for you, and fighting back is a good sign. Best of luck at the vet, keep us posted as usual :)

20. pandorasbox

pandorasbox Elite Member

If you can bring a fecal sample, definitely do, because he could have parasites.