This Disappears When Logged In

Does Anyone Have Experience with the Newer Zoo Med Powersun 160w MVB

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Geo7809, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Hi everyone. Well the construction of my new bearded dragon enclosure is almost done. The dimentions are 48x24x24. Im currently using a 100w mega ray because the current enclosure is only 20in tall but Im thinking with the new taller enclosure im going to have to go with a 160w bulb. I was thinking about using the Zoo Med Powersun 160w because the new mega rays keep going out on me. Dose anyone have experience with the 160 Powersuns? Do they give off good UV at long distance?

2. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I was wondering about this bulb for my Iguana too....

3. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Ive been using the bulb and its really pretty decent. Its putting out about 45uWcm2 at 18in. Its not a lot but its not that bad either. My trex active UV heat is comming in today. I'm going to test it out and see how it is.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can get the same UV output from a reptisun 5.0 at 10". You can actually get a higher uv from a reptisun 5.0 at 10". I hope you have a level that allows the reptile to get a bit closer because the UV output would be substantially higher if he could.

Check the light out at the UV Guide website where all the lights are tested. That site independantly tests the UV lights on the market and posts their results online.

5. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Oh yea my dragon can get closer when she wants to. The UV guide has been closed for months now. I've been waiting for them to reopen it to see the info they have on new bulbs

6. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

i have tried the powersund and the solar glows and as long as i can get my hands on the megarays i will NEVER use either of them again. i had lots of problems with them burning out one after another

7. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

My experiences were the exact opposite, all 4 of the Mega rays I had burned out within a month but they put out good UV while they worked. I'd be willing to pay $100 for a perfect bulb if they can ever develope such a thing.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I wonder if its your fixture!

9. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

No the fixtures are relatively new and I had them all in different ones. I'm looking forward to testing the new trex today. I wonder if westron still makes them?

10. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

thats odd, i have never had a megaray burn out and ive been using them for years

11. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I bet the old school Mega rays that were made by westron were great.

12. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman Elite Member

I've had problems with the recent batch of Megarays as well, and their customer service has gone from bad to horrible lately. Also looking for alternatives...

13. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

I'm not here to bash reptile UV and I know they are a small time operation but I've been trying to get a hold of them since march because I have 2 burned out bulbs that need to be replaced. Hopefully I can resolve the issue when their new batch arrives.

14. Rickenbackerman

I'm not trying to bash them either, but the fact is that when you've got reptiles that DEPEND on these lights, you have zero spares, and then they don't respond to numerous emails it gets very frustrating...

However, I just checked on their website for any updates and came across this, it explains things... looks like it was just posted today.

UVB Meter Owners - Conversations

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I understand that it is frustrating but look at it this way.
    Would you be happier if, instead of waiting, trying to get the issues ironed out, they just said screw it and sent you some peice of substandard junk that was on hand? Most people on here do not have solar meters to measure UVB, so they could quite easily get away with it. Or the bulbs wouldn't last and you were right back to the same situation.
    But thats not the way they want to run their company.
    Thanks for posting that link.

16. Rickenbackerman

I do understand. Totally. There are overwhelmed, understaffed, in debt, etc...

However, of the last batch that were sent out early this year, between Geo7809 and I we have three bulbs that burned out prematurely. So, in a way, we were sent "substandard junk", no?

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

But it may have been that they did not at the time know there was a problem. When you have to have someone else do the physical manufacturing of your product, errors can slip in.

18. Rickenbackerman

True dat.

I just hope they get things under control relatively quickly so we can once again have access to quality UV for our critters.

19. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Thats unfortunate, and i wish them the best. Speaking of substandard junk I just got my Trex active UV heat. So far its putting out good UV but its such a narrow beam anywhere outside of the center of the bulb is useless.

20. falconut

falconut Member

I just experienced what you guys are talking about. My old Mega Ray died in June, so I ordered one on June 27, 2011 and installed it on July 1, 2011. But it just died today, only 1-1/2 months. It was a 100 Watt Wide Beam Mega-Ray/ Solar Raptor/ Reptile UV, whatever you want to call it. But after reading the link from Rickenbackerman, I now realize that this is a commen issue with them. I'm trying to see if they'll send me a 130 Watt or 160 Watt replacement.