This Disappears When Logged In

Does Anyone Have a Black Mamba

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by reptile_kid, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

The only way you die in minutes is due to Anaphylactic shock...which people often misunderstand as the speed a venom kills a person.

[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing.

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There are many different kinds of venom (I cannot keep them all straight - maybe someone will chime in who can)

Some venoms work on the nervous system (Neurotoxins), and will do very little in the way of visible damage, though they should be taken just as seriously, because they will often inhibit organs from functioning (like your lungs). I believe black mambas have this type of venom.

The truly gruesome pics you see are usually necrotoxins - toxins that work on the flesh/tissues, (such as the bite of a brown recluse spider.)

I believe there is also a group of toxins that work primarily on the heart (hemotoxins)

Someone straighten me out if I have this all bass-ackwards.

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

These are the basic toxins and very BASIC symptoms....there are MANY more.

Neurotoxins - nervous system ( death resulting to lung collapse etc.)
    Cytotoxins - affect tissue (necrosis, swelling etc etc)
    Heamotoxins - affect heamosystem aka blood( internal bleeding, bleeding from mucous membranes etc etc)
    Cardiotoxins - affect the heart

as I stated earlier the black mamba has a predominately neurotoxic venom with some cardiotoxic properties.

4. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

The show you maybe referring to was I was bitten or something like that. The person got bit by his monocled cobra and after about a week, he was in the shower and pushed on his stomach. It exploded out and left a hole in it. That was about 3 weeks ago.

5. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Well going back to the heading:

Does Anyone Have a Black Mamba?

We have lots, they are all around me and we always have to watch were we step, + we can never leave any doors or windows open! Wonderful Kruger Park.[​IMG]

The closest that I got to almost being bitten was on a morning walk inside Kruger. I was standing next to a bush were a black mamba was lying.:( Luckily it was still early morning and she was not hot and angry yet.:p

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

One thing I do find with mambas though (unless trapped in your house and cornered ;)) is that they tend to disappear before you even get near them. Most the time you will never know there was a mamba, unless like that morning it was still cold. Not many bites from them in the wild thank goodness....but yes they do occur.

Very nervous snakes, which is also the reason they are dangerous if cornered in a house. Awesome creatures though. Love them

7. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I fully agree with that! It was only by luck that we saw her at all and she was gone long before I could crab my camera to take a shot. I love them too.

8. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

Do they like to climb?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.