This Disappears When Logged In

Does Anyone Have a Black Mamba

Discussion in 'General Venomous' started by reptile_kid, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

I've heard many things about black mambas,and I was wondering if any experienced keepers have any.

2. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

That is an extremely aggressive and venomous snake. I highly highly doubt that someone has one of those. I'm not even sure if anyone in the world has had success keeping them in captivity.

3. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

I didn't think anyone would, but just checking

4. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I've seen a green mamba in the snake-zoo here in Switzerland. They are beautiful. But if I'm not mistaken the green mamba is a bit less aggressive than the black mamba. (Still extremely dangerous, though!)
    Here are the pics I took of the green mamba:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

Nice pics the only venemous snake the virginia zoo has is a copperhead.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Our herpetarium at work seems to have nothing but venomous snakes, though we have no black mambas, only a green as well.

7. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

Can the green and black mamba be found at the same place?

8. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Geographically? I don't have a clue. You could probably google it.

9. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

I googled it and it said that they could both be found in Africa,but it didn't say what part.

10. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

try wikipedia.

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Aw what a pretty scary snake.

I was watching a show on animal planet that this guy had a black mamba and it bit him and it ate a hole in his stomach the size of a softball by the time he got to the hospital.

12. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

Was the guy at work,or was it his.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Work I think. However, I don't know where he worked as they had them in tubs.

14. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

The green mamba picture in the beginning of this thread is of a Western Green Mamba (Dendroaspis viridis).

The typical green mamba is the eastern green mamba (Dendroaspis angusticeps)

The black mamba is Dendroaspis Polylepis and there is one more mamba...
    The Jamesons mamba (Dendroaspis jamesoni) ...I am not going to get into subspecies as there is alot of debate.

Where I live you find the eastern green mamba and the black mamba. Where we are, the black mamba gets the largest size in its distribution making it the longest venomous snake in Africa. The more north you go, the smaller they are. Have not bred them but have lots of success with them in captivity and they do really well, especially the males... people have bred them though but it is not easy.

Green mambas are a lot more calmer than their black cousins and are bred quite frequently.

I only have experience keeping these 2 species.
    Not really a snake people should keep as pets though, more a research/educational animal for zoos.

I get alot of call-outs removing these snakes. They can get pretty big and are extremely nervous snakes and extremely quick. Here is one from my area:

[​IMG]

They have a very strong neurotoxic venom with cardiotoxins. No necrotic effects are ever present, so I doubt the one seen on TV was actually a black mamba.

Besides that, no snake venom can eat away your flesh at the rate stated.

As for finding species in the same areas...The black mamba can be found in certain areas with all the species but the rest do not enter each other's distribution. Eastern green mambas in South Africa do not go inland more than 7km from the coast...restricted to coastal forest. The green mambas of inland Tanzania might actually be a new species...should be done some time soon.

Anything sepcific you would like to know? I could ramble on for hours :p

15. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Devon, you are amazing! What a great photo! :)
    Thanks for all the information.

16. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

Great pic.Have you ever been bit.

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Hmm. I was almost positive it was a black mamba on that show, it might have been a black something else the segment was quite short, it didn't eat at his flesh so a softball could fit in it, it was the serface area of a softball that looked like it was just melting, I think the hospital was a bit away too. I don't know it was a while ago that I am remembering this. It was the untamed and uncut show I think.

18. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Nothing that will send me to hospital at least :p, "harmelss" bites don't count - i am extra careful and am confident in what i do. Getting bitten is out of the question, proud to have never been tagged. It is nothing to boast about as many people tend to do.

Thanks for asking :)

19. reptile_kid

reptile_kid Elite Member

that's good ,but how fast does their venom travel.

20. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Venom particles of a black mamba venom are very small and travel very fast through your lymphatic system. You do have a good three hours minimum before you die.(this is relevant to where it bites you, wet yield and first aid used though...a chest bite or direct bite into blood stream would make it alot quicker)

The only way you die in minutes is due to Anaphylactic shock...which people often misunderstand as the speed a venom kills a person.

A black mambas venom is very toxic with an LD50 of 0.28mg/kg

An interesting thing though. If you can get to any medical help you WILL survive, even without anti venom. If kept on a respirator and breathing you just out do the half life of the venom and walk away undamaged. But there is a 100% death rate with no medical treatment which is quite scary, especially for people like myself who are often out in the field away from help. Hence me always being safe ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.