This Disappears When Logged In

Do You Use an Uth on Plastic Tubs?

Discussion in 'Heating' started by avoidtheboyd, Feb 27, 2010.

1. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Ok, well i tried to use a plastic tub for a new leopard gecko but it ended up bowing the bottom. How else can i heat a tub so it wont melt or bow? i see all these breeders keeping a ton of leos in plastic tubs but i cant figure out how they would heat it?

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I have a uth for my roach colony that is in a 30gal sterilite tub. What I did is attach the uth to an old picture frame glass that was just slightly bigger than the heater. I have the tub about 1/2 inch above the heater and (when I run the heater) the temps are around 90-100 (depending on the room temp)( I had the heater running 24/7 at one time but needed to slow the breeding of my roaches down so stopped heating the enclosure)

3. avoidtheboyd

Can you take a pic of that? I'm having a hard time understanding that. haha

4. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

Just helping to clear it up for you... Attach the under tank heater to a piece of glass. That way you can suspend the tub (on feet or blocks of wood) above the heater. This way it wont or should not heat up the tub hot enough to melt or deform it. And give you sort of a variable heat. The farther you move the tub above the heater the cooler it gets.

5. avoidtheboyd

Is rubbermaid preferable to sterilite? Because Ive heard that rubbermaid doesn't bow or anything.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like you need a controller (rheostat or thermostat)to turn down your heating pad. If it will get hot enough to melt plastic, it will cook your lizard!

7. avoidtheboyd

well i mean it doesnt melt it its just that i had the thermometer sayin 94 and yet it still bowed the bottom of the container