This Disappears When Logged In

Do You Let Your Monitor Roam Around Your House?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by ashley36, Sep 8, 2013.

1. ashley36

ashley36 Elite Member

Hi everyone, was just wondering what your opinions are on letting your monitor roam your home for a few minutes per day.

My story:
    For me I let Alfred my savannah monitor go up and Down the stairs well Michael is cleaning his tank. Once Alfred has had enough of the stairs or i say for him to come he will either follow me in the room or go back into the room on his own where his tank is and wait to go back in his tank. Since he was 2 months we have been doing this and it's only been recently (in the past month) that I have noticed he knows to follow me or to go to his tank after he goes up and down the steps a couple of times. Savannah monitors are VERY smart.

2. JSqueezer

JSqueezer Elite Member

I don't have a monitor but I know if I had one I'd let him out of the enclosure to roam free with close supervision... and as long as other pets are tucked safely away. I see nothing wrong with it.

3. ashley36

ashley36 Elite Member

We have two cats and only one will go up to him and sniff him. Sometimes we let him roam around on Michael's bed with one of our bearded dragons.. Frank. When Alfred was only about 3 to 4 weeks old we had them meet each other and though frank just went straight for where he sleeps (Michael has a heating pad on his bed for when the boys need some space from each other he will take one out of their tank and let them sleep on the heating pad) Alfred followed after him and walked over him the under him and curled up under/beside frank. We petted frank and Alfred let us pet him. I swear that frank let Alfred know that we weren't going to hurt him.

Now Alfred is about three inches away from being the same size as frank and he still see frank as his protector. Frank on the other hand sees Alfred and is a little nervous of how big he is. We are going to start be more careful with them since Alfred is getting bigger and well soon enough he could crush frank by laying over him.

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

You know that reptiles don't communicate to each other right? They properly just stayed there because they where scared.

I would stop allowing your monitor to be loose with other animals NOW.
    #1) your causing stress between them all in the wild a Savannah monitor and a bearded dragon would NEVER interact in the wild, they don't even come from the same area. Avoiding stress with reptiles is the best way to have a healthy animal!
    #2) sav's have a high prey drive and soon the beardie will be a perfect meal size. You would be surprized what a sav can swallow! If he can't he sure can do some pretty serious damage to him in no time.
    #3) illnesses, parasites etc. I noticed on your other posts that you can't afford much, taking 2 reptiles to the Vet will cost you a lot more then one.
    #4) cat scratches and bites are the worse out of just about every single animal out there. Lots of bacteria and germs. One cat scratch or bite could end up in very expensive Vet bills. I had a dog get bit by a cat I believe when Buddy was healed up we spent close to $3000. For one stray cat bite on his leg.
    #5) you have to remember that reptiles are not social animals, they do not need to be with others. "play time" with reptiles should be renamed "Who's going to hurt who time?"

5. ashley36

ashley36 Elite Member

Ill take your advice and stop the interactions, I am perfectly fine with that!
    Vet bills are covered for my animals. But I would never want them to get hurt!!
    We have two cats one i will always allow around the lizards. millers (good cat) loves them! Millers has never bitten or scratched at anyone or anything (not even random cats she doesn't know... She has only hissed or ran away but she hasn't done both of those things around the lizards) Don't get me wrong though, it's not like we let her around any of our lizards but expessually Alfred without us there. We are always beside millers making sure is behaves. Sophie (BAD cat) will never come close to getting by them. Although I say I let my lizards around millers this doesn't mean they are ALWAYS are her. She is around them mostly when they are in there tanks... It's every once in a blue moon she comes up and is around them outside of there tank.

6. MokiiMonitor

MokiiMonitor Member

I let my mangrove monitor out to have a walk around in our spare room were his viv is but make sure the door and window is shut. He enjoys having a sniff around and finding any escaped locust.

I have seen photos where people let their monitors in the garden but mokii is too fast and would but gone in the first 10 seconds

7. ashley36

ashley36 Elite Member

Alfred has never gone close to the windows yet and we usually keep them opened with the screen being there. I will definitely make sure to shut the windows whenever he is out on his "adventures".

When Alfred was about 10 inches long we had him out in the lawn and he never ran away.. He stayed close to us at all times but after that day we decided to wait to bring him out again till next summer when he'll be 2-3 feet because the grass was taller then him... He would get low in the grass and we would have to pull the grass back to see him.

I don't think I would ever trust him in the garden though. Alfred can dig a foot in about 1-2 minutes. By a half a minutes you wouldn't be able to get him unless you were to get him by his back legs or tail (to me if someone ever pick a monitor up my its back legs or tail It would be animal cruelty!)

Thank you MokiiMonitor for your input.

8. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Example of NORMAL interaction between cats and varanids.....

yumyum.jpg

Attached Files:

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ashley you have got to stop trying to put human emotions onto reptiles. They just are not there. Neither lizard is talking to the other. And as soon as the monitor gets some size on him, the dragon is a goner. And as for the cats, they are genetically hardwired as a predator. It doesn't make any difference how you have raised them, they are first and foremost a killer. You are seriously playing with fire here.

10. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

I clicked "Like" thinking that it was accurate then I had a little laugh about the fact that I clicked "Like" on that picture.

11. gothicangel69

gothicangel69 Elite Member

I got a laugh from this!! Poor kitty, but very accurate photo.
    Toothless got out once when he was only 2 feet and took a run at my cats. I have never seen them so scared!! hehe- they must have seen this picture as well :).

Attached Files:

12. ashley36

ashley36 Elite Member

We are stoping Alfred from interacting with Millers now. I looked at the picture and then got sick. How can you laugh at that! It's pure cruelty.

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, he wasn`t laughing at the photo, he clicked "like" on the pic instead of on the words.
    It isn`t "cruel", it`s perfectly natural behaviour, both the cat and monitor are predators, you will never take that out of them.

14. gothicangel69

gothicangel69 Elite Member

What I don't understand is how it's acceptable to feed birds, rodents, rabits, etc. but is considered 'cruel and inhumane' if its a cat. Not that I would ever feed a kitten to my lizard because I think they are amazing, but in reality they are no different than a rabbit, cow, bird, or rat. People keep pigs, cows, and horses for pets, but we also eat them.
    I don't mean this post to come across as insensitive or cruel, I am actually curious on why people believe there is a difference?

Sorry to take the OP off course, I just had to ask.

15. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

First of all, that photo is a feral cat who chose to enter the monitor's natural territory. Therefore the Lizard was well within it's instinctive "rights" to prey upon the invader.

I have pet cats, and I would never consider allowing my lizards and cats to make contact.

Neither my cats nor my dogs are allowed to enter the reptile room, and I don't take my reptiles out into the rest of the house.

I was simply illustrating the natural interaction you should expect from allowing your animals to come into contact with each other.

Well heated monitors behave as monitors should, under heated monitors behave like a stuffed animal.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And then they die!
    I have actually heard "experts" recommending keeping lizards at below par temperatures to make them more tractable.
    Yeah,...RIGHT!

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

So Thats how I get Tai to be a lap lizard! And then I can dress him up and walk him!

18. Infernalis

Infernalis Elite Member

Attached Files:

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I already know of 3 familes that did buy one and a few more that were going to but I talked them out of it.

It does beg the question...would a playplace (like mcdonalds and the one from the show) actually be an ok cage? I think it would be a horrible cage for cleaning and temperature gradients.