This Disappears When Logged In

do snakes give live birth?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by bill87109, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill87109

bill87109 New Member

can anyone please tell me do snakes..pit vipers specifically....give live birth? please help settle a disagreement. thank you

bill

2. goldrockin_froggie

goldrockin_froggie Well Established Member

u can look it up oon the internet for the answer and i don't know lol what a help i am

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I know that blacktail rattlesnakes give live birth,,,not sure if that applies to all vipers, or just new world vipers or just some species. Any "HOT" experts on tonite ??

4. venus

venus Founding Member

The majority of Crotalidae give live birth, although some 'primitive' Crotalids lay eggs.

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Some snakes give live birth, others lay eggs. The same is true for pit vipers, some do, some don't. MOST pit vipers give live birth though.

6. geckoguykc

geckoguykc Elite Member

the Diamond Backs around the oil field here give live birth

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

The only "new world" viper I could find that lays eggs is the Bushmaster from South America, all other viper from the Americas are live bearing. There are a few "old world" viper that lay eggs such as the Carpet Viper from Africa, the Sahara Horned Viper and the Malayan pit viper. So the only way to settle your disagreement is to flip a coin. But it is safe to say that "most" vipers bear live neonates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.