This Disappears When Logged In

do reptiles have feelings?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ryan, Apr 23, 2005.

?

do herps have feelings?

1. Absolutely! what a dumb question!

101 vote(s)
    75.4%
  2. Some might...

18 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. Never thought about it

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. No

9 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe Elite Member

The same way you describe an animals behaviour when it is placed in a new environment/house. We are always told to give opur animal a week to settle in to a new home. The way I would explain this would be the same as moving to a new environment, as technically it is.

Yes and no, yes because that is the feeling we can relate to but no for the same reason. Just because we have those range of feeling doesn't mean that all other animals have them too.

This is no a pig-headed comment that animals have no feelings etc just MO

2. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

this may sound dumb but i think that living with humans in some ways changes an animal, for example, way back when the wolves became our buds they lived along with the human lifestyle for thousands of years, and some scientists say domestic cats are smarter than the wild species

3. Joe

Joe Elite Member

I get what you are saying ryan, but how they can say that a domestic cat is more intelligent than a wild one is rediculas. A domestic cat might show more humanised 'intellectul' caracteristics but put a domestic cat back where it oringiated, ie the wild, not urban settings, and the domestic cat will appear quite dumb compared to a wild cat. The same can be said for humans, you can not compare your average north american with a native to the amazon, or similar, and say that one is more intelligent than the other. There is no way that either can apper intelligent in alien surroundings.

And as you say it takes thousands of years for an animal to evolve to become fully accustomed to an 'alien' environment. And is becoming more humaised a good thing?? I mean afterall we are responsable for mass habitat destruction, global warming, to some extent, and the extiction of, according to one expert, around 75% of all animals that have existed since the rise of homo sapiens....just a thought... :)

4. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yes I have to agree with Joe's argument.. a domestic cat is no more intelligent than a wild one, but human interpretation may like to think it is due to the more humanistic characteristics, however I don't know how scientists could make such a statement,. have you noticed with domestic cats that they are "friendly" and "loving" when they want something, be it food, attention or whatever. I am a cat person, and I am always humanising things that animals do, but this doesn't mean that what i am interpreting is right, it's just what i want to believe - e.g. when i come home and my bearded dragon looks at me, isn't it nice to think "ah, it's smiling at me cos it's happy i'm home",. but are beardies actually capable of smiling?? :D

5. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

maybe i just misunderstood what ive heard
    and to geckoguy, i agree to what you said, if there was another species like the human, it would be bad...

but we dont need another species like a human, we are already destroying the only planet we can live on just fine on our own
    :( :mad:

6. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

but i guess one could argue that we are a natural being that belongs on earth, and that like all other dominant species before us, our time will eventually come, and something new will take our place

7. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

Ok since everyone trashed this, where was this taken from and what studies were involved? I mean we have bashed this without knowing any more than this statement. The idea that we could form an objective opinion is ridiculous. Have any one of us studied cat intelligence? I haven't! Maybe they are smarter!

8. Joe

Joe Elite Member

I'm not saying that they aren't smart I'm saying that it is a different kind of intelligence in a different environment...if you are to measure intelligence then you have to measure like for like or else the comparison will be biased one way or the other.

9. Hide Clyde

Hide Clyde Elite Member

My understanding of intelligence is that it is the ability to learn or understand from experience, meaning the ability to acquire and retain knowledge. The area lived or background should not affect raw intelligence. One could be extremely intelligent and not know how to live in the wild and vice versa. The education of the subject would affect it's knowledge of a given situation but not it's intelligence.

My main point is that we were not given the information needed to agree or disagree. Unless of course, one is disagreeing with the statement
    and we are saying that some scientists do not say that! We have no idea how the scientists came to that conclusion. I could say that I have an extensive collection of swords. Without any more information how could one agree or disagree? I in fact have three swords. Now given more information one could logically say that three swords is not an extensive collection.

10. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Now, I have to point out a few of my own opinions here .. firstly, speaking of domesticated vs. wild animals, as an example let's take our bearded dragons. They have always been captive, and probably several generations of their family before them were captive, so they have learned nothing that they would require in the wild. However, if we hold a snake in front of the young beardies' tank they freak out,. when our bird flies around and lands on top of their tank, which i would have thought would also spook them, they are not bothered. All of the animals in question originate from Australia.. so then, instinct obviously tells the beardies that the snake is a natural predator, and the bird isn't.. is instinct intelligence? is it learned? - well it is not, as none of their parents are there to teach them to avoid certain animals and not to avoid others,.

But, in any case, I feel the thread has slightly gone off-topic, since the original question was, do reptiles have feelings?. Everyone's responses are different, and based only on opinion and we must all respect each others' views, since all are equally valid.

11. Sentress

Sentress Elite Member

In my opinion, they do have feelings, but they're not necessarily the same as a humans.

Just like they think, but they don't think in English. Same thing with feelings.

:p

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That is why some keepers have such a hard time figuring out what and why a reptile is doing what it does. You have to stop putting human attributes on them and think about them in THEIR terms.

13. Doreenjm

Doreenjm Member

I hope so...

:rolleyes: I like to think my water dragon has feelings, but then he runs across my face when I'm laying down and scratches me (by accident) and then I think maybe he doesn't! Hehehehehehe! He ALWAYS goes back to the same hiding place way up in my closet so he must think about getting there, right? He closes his little eyes when I pick him up when he should be sleeping--I like to think that somehow he is comforted by me....that's probably just my ego though. :p

14. ribbit2

ribbit2 Elite Member

They most certainly do. All my frogs get excited around feeding time every day and i am pretty sure that excitment is an emotion. :D

15. Ryan

Ryan Elite Member

wow, this post is stilll going strong thank you guys for all of your opinions

16. iguanalady2

iguanalady2 Member

Well I don't know about all reptiles but my baby girl ig Whip sure has feeling and she shows them all the time. When I hurt her feeling she gets mad at me and lets me know it. I believe all animals have feeling and can hurt just like a human being. :) Anyone who thinks different isn't in touch with there reptile as far as I'm concerned. But thats just my opinion. Whip shows her love when she wants to by coming up and rubbing her head on my face when shes in a good mood and wants some attention. Oh yes they do have feeling.

17. Matt_D_C

Matt_D_C Elite Member

I think that not only do they get attached to their owners (which may not be in the same sense of say a dog, cat, or bird) but they aslo get attached to their tank-mates. I know back when I had my first WD, Maxumus, he and Commodus lived together for quite some time until that fated night when I lost power. Max and Com got along quite well for not only being two different species, but two different temperments as well. At first they didn't even pay attention to each other, but after a while they would take turns in the water, hunt crickets together, ect.. One feeding day, Commodus was going for a cricket in the water, and snipped a small part off the tip of Max's tail. After that is when Max became territorial and no longer let Commodus have full run of the tank, and fighting insued shortly after. When the power went out, I lost everything- reptiles, fish,ect.. You name it, it didn't survive- except Commodus. When I found Max dead in the water when the power finally came back on, my first thought was Commodus had taken the opportunity to strike when Max was weak, but this was not so. Careful inspection of his body proved this. Commodus became so depressed, he did not eat for almost two months. He would not move from his rock, nor would he even go into the water. I had to constantly spray him. When I picked him up he would just sit lethargically in my hands, and when I put him back in the tank he would not move from where I would put him. Crickets, mice, fish, anoles, chicken- I put anything I could in his tank for him to eat, but he just wouldn't. If there was ever a depressed or saddened 'face' an alligator could make, Commodus had it. I think this pic says it all:
    [​IMG]

Not the Commodus you guys had come to know and love.

18. fuse

fuse Elite Member

I'm sure most herps develop a sense of how to identify their owners after a while especially through the means of feeding.
    my large indian star female used to be super shy of people, but after some time, i'm not sure if its the smell, she will comes towards you if its hungry. There was this time (when i'm in hostel, the tortoise is under my mum's care) when my mum forgot her supper, she climbed out of her tray and went into my mum's room....isnt she cute?

but on the other hand, i once mishandled her and she refuse to come out of the shell until i coax her a few days with food in my hands. they're truly amazing creatures!!

[​IMG]

19. Debbie

Debbie Elite Member

They sure do and they have attitudes to go along with the feelings! lol

I scolded Bam-Bam one time for not eating and she inturn pooped on me and I sware she was laughing at me when she did it. I have never scolded her again! lol

Debbie Iggy Bam-Bam and Miss Zak

20. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

My iggy used to sleep with me too :)...and yes, I think herps have feelings...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.