This Disappears When Logged In

Do I need to worry?

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by jacky, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Haven't seen my Sinaloan for 5 days.She's burried herself in the bark.I know she is in shed,but is that normal that she stayes burried for such a long time?
    Humidity is around 60%. Shall I just wait and see or should I look for her?I don't want to disturb her. It's her second shed in my care; the petstore sold her to me while she had milky eyes,and that shed went well (One piece).
    She really is nowhere to be seen,but she can't escape,so she must be "underground" somewhere.HELP,what shall I do???
    By the way; her last shed was about 6 weeks ago.Now as far as I know do baby snakes shed every 4-6 weeks right?! So then I just can't believe that mine is from Sept.'03 (although she's only about 45cm long!!)
    Thanks for your help!!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Knowing the escape capabilities of snakes I would never EVER go so far as to assume that they could not have escaped. If I had not seen the snake for several days I would be in there making sure the snake was there! I check on all my animals daily.
    Snakes of any age do not shed on a timetable but rather by how much they have been growing. A baby can shed every few weeks but so can a juvenile that is growing well.

3. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

Yep, I'm with Merlin, I would definately check that the snake was in there. Snakes can be expert escape artists, and it's best just to check. It is normal for the snake to be less active while in shed, and they will normally take about a week to shed at that age, longer when older. If his eyes were milky it's usually a few days til they shed from then, the eyes go clear again just before shedding.

It's ok to check in on them when they are in shed, it will do them no harm to be disturbed. They can be a little more aggressive when in shed, their eyesight is poor at best, but when in shed they can barely see anything and can be more nervous than usual.

Let us know that he is still there, and do not worry too much about humidity - kings, like corns, are hardy snakes and will generally have good sheds,. make sure his humidity is much lower than you have it now when he is not in shed. :)

4. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

Thanks for your answers.I can't imagine that she escaped,because there is really no way to get out,and nothing was open!!
    Is it OK just to dig through the bark with my hands and look for her??
    The bark is about 12cm deep!

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Usually if you start to move the bark around the snake will come out on it's own. If I don't see one of mine on a daily basis I go in and look. (I'm paranoid)

6. jacky

jacky Moderated Status

YEEEPEEEE!!!!!! I found her!!! I'm so happy.She's already got milky eyes,so I guess it was quite stressful to her,but she seems ok.
    Took some bark out,'cause I had way too much in there.Thanks for your answers!

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Thats good! Nothing makes you feel quite like finding an empty tank!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.