This Disappears When Logged In

Do I Need a New Tank?

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by Seandeezy, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

I'm not sure if I have a 35gal or a 40gal, but anyways half of the tank is screen and half WAS a glass top. My friend broke the glass lid by accident and I think that is a reason as to why I can't keep humidity in my tank.

Is there somewhere I can go to just buy a new class top for the tank or do I really need to buy a new tank because that will suck; I'll do it though. :confused:

2. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

You can get a versa top at any pet store :)

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

or you can custom make a wood top that you seal that will be 1, cheaper, and 2, hold temp, and humidity better.

4. Drache Dame

Drache Dame Elite Member

Erm... not really. Versa tops aren't too expensive, and then she doesn't have to worry about sealing the wood. Glass holds in humidity just as well.

5. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

So I can get a Versa top like at any Petco or Petcity? If I don't find it there I know a super awesome reptile place called Prehistoric Pets. :) So I'll go there if I don't find any near my house. I'm pretty sure that's a problem I'm having when I'm trying to keep my cage humid. The tank is missing the glass lid haha.

Does anybody know a price range for a Versa top for a 20gal or 35gal? Approx. :confused:

Oh and ...
    I'm a guy. :)

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You could also just add a piece of plexiglass. Lowes sells it and will custom cut it for you.

7. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Yeah I don't think the Versa Top will work out for me. My cage isn't split in half horizontally, but vertically. I looked up Versa Top's and saw that they were split down horizontally, so I guess I'm stuck with buying some plexiglass from Lowes. haha

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Are you talking about one of the exoterras with the double glass front doors?

9. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Well if you look at this picture, I've labeled what used to be there. I still have the screen side because that side wasn't a lid, so it never moved. The lid that's moving used to be glass and it was a lid, but my friend broke it.

See what I mean now? :)

Attached Files:

10. Merlin

Ok! That helps. Any glass shop can cut you a peice of glass to fit in there. Then you just take the old glass out and silicone the new glass to the frame.

11. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

So like when I go into like Lowes or Home Depot, should I bring my empty tank? Because all I gotta do is get some cut and make sure it's big enough to fit. I actually don't need to silicone it in because one side of the glass is going to fit into this plastic hinge so I'll be able to lift it up and use it as a lid. So I have to make sure that the glass is thin enough to fit in the plastic hinge. :D

Phew. Cages are complicated haha.

12. Merlin

I would go to a regular glass specialty shop. All you need to do is give them a good set of measurements, including the thickness that you need.

The Lowes and Home Depots around here are not very good at precision cuts.

13. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

I'd also like to mention that glass will filter out the UVB (if the light on the right is used for UVB)

14. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

It being filtered out is a bad thing right? Don't herps need the UV rays?

15. Merlin

What is the cage used for?
    Regular glass will filter out all the UVB.

16. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

So what kind of glass do I need that will allow ultraviolet light through?

17. Merlin

All glass and plexiglass blocks UVB. In fact it is designed to. The only exception is a specific glass for greenhouses.
    You won't be able to get any unless to go thu a greenhouse supplier and it will cost you big bucks! In fact I seem to remember reading somewhere that they had virtually stopped mass producing this product.

18. Seandeezy

Seandeezy Elite Member

Alright, so I guess I won't be buying a glass section since all glass and plexiglass is designed to stop UV rays. I'll probably just end up tearing off the screen I got on right now and going and buying a Versa top or a one piece screen; unless there is another solution to keeping humidity in? :)

19. Merlin

The glass versa tops will be blocking the UVB as well.
    I would just build a wooden top with a hole cut out for the lamp.

20. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You never answered what Herp was kept in the tank. Not all need UVB.