This Disappears When Logged In

Disturbing

Discussion in 'HH General Discussion' started by deadnateray, Feb 2, 2013.

1. deadnateray

deadnateray Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. DustinQ

DustinQ Elite Member

Yes

Although monitor lizards do not rely as heavily on the sun to produce and breakdown their vitamin D, there is no Uvb bulb in existence that even comes close to the uvb emitted by the sun. There is some material out there suggesting that it isn't necessary but there is nearly 100% consensus that uvb is beneficial. Make sure to check that your bulb is at the recommended distance though or you could cook your monitor

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Evidence is that there are many many monitors being produced in captivity without UVB specific bulbs being used.
    They grow up just fine on whole prey food sources. The smaller monitors that do not feed on whole prey and are mainly invertebrate diets, should be fed a vitamin D3 supplement.
    This is not saying that UVB is not beneficial to them. But if you don't set it up properly and regularly test and change your bulbs then it's a complete waste of money.
    If you can afford the bulbs and are willing to research and supply the proper setup, then I say go for it.

Also, don't go to Yahoo answers for reptile related subjects.
    Come here ;)

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I`d just like to mention that metal halide bulbs come close to natural sunlight, though you need relatively large enclosures to use them, and while they last a long time are expensive to buy (they also need a ballast).

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you put a few photos up of your monitor and the enclosure, and give some details of the conditions? Thanks!

6. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

It is disturbing that someone looking for a first reptile would consider a sav, anyhow..... I always give uvb to the reptiles that need it, as even thought there is some debate to the necessity of uvb, it couldn't hurt and any benefit is worth the money.

7. Vers

Vers Elite Member

Yes, in terms of spectrum produced by a single light source they are closest to replicating natural sunlight (as far as the general public knows, at least). With that said, you can also use a combination of bulbs to closer match natural sunlight as well. This is explained here.

In regards to the importance of UVB lighting for Varanids (and other genera) I won't argue with those keeping monitors under a single halogen bulb, but I do think that, despite the luck those keepers have had, full spectrum lighting is important. Your mileage may certainly vary.

8. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Quoted from an answer on the link for those who didn't feel like reading it. I can't tell if the guy who typed this up was joking around or is a complete moron.

9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t think that was necessarily a joke, there are worse one`s than that floating around, and the saddest part is that someone, somewhere will follow the advise.

10. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Note to self: never follow the advice of someone that doesn't even know how to spell 3 out of 5 words correctly.

11. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, not being literate doesn`t mean lack of intelligence or it must be bad info, some of the most successful keepers and breeders in the world are quite poor with grammar for whatever reason, and their advise is first class! ;)

12. justor

justor Elite Member

"If you put that type of lizard under a UV bulb it will turn into a psycopath as they have such as a 3rd eye on top of there head..."

This person has obviously failed to realize that the sun is a UV emitting light source. Apparantly every monitor in Africa is a psychopath. Why is it that my iguana (which also has a 'third eye', and requires UVB lighting) is not a psychopath? :confused:

13. skelly98

skelly98 Elite Member

This demonstrates a lack of understanding of:

-the sun
    -psychology (psychopath? LOL)
    -reptiles
    -reptile care
    -spelling and grammar
    -the concept of saying something when you know what you are talking about, vs saying stuff with no idea what the heck you are speaking of

This is why i never go on yahoo....

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

DOH!!! That's whats wrong with Tai! I knew it wasnt cause I refer to him as my pretty bitty!

15. deadnateray

deadnateray Member

i do know ty :)

16. deadnateray

deadnateray Member

Im trying to post the pics , but keep getting an error ???. my enclosure is hand made , 5 ft long , 4 and a half foot tall and 3and a half feet wide , i know its still a lil small for him when hes big , but it works well for now . right now his hot side temp is 109 , which means i need to adjust the heat lamp a lil , im using a 250 watt red heat lamp for heat and a 75 watt halogen for heat and light , plus a repti glo 2.o 10 inch tube light for uvb . The one thing i know ive got wrong is his substrate , its only about ten inches deep ,and its top soil , and spagnum moss mix . The local stores around here , including home depot , do not have bags of top soil this time of year , so i purcheased 4 cu, ft of garden soil , when i got them home i noticed they contain plant food and am unsure about using it ,(any advice?) i also got 2 cu , ft . of cypress mulch to mix with the soil . Edgar has a 5 gallon plastic tub for soaking , bathroom etc. and a 1 gallon plastic tub for drinking water. my cool side temp is 86 with a 70 percent humidity level , hot side humidity is 23 percent , besides the substrate is this setup okay , all i need to do is lower the lamp for the temp , i know it will get it there , i moved it up , cause it was hitting upper 150s , i have 2 acu rite thermometer / hygrometers , one on each side, i purchased them at wal mart for 8 bucks a piece , i also use one of those portable thermometers with the long wire and the thingy at the end , with a digital read out . Edgar is 15 inches from tip of snout to vent , and 28 inches total .

17. deadnateray

deadnateray Member

oh , i forgot his basking spot
    , its a concrete tile , sat atop rocks , with the underneath left open , which he uses as his hide , i also have two peperomia plants and a few ivies growing in the soil . with a riverbed pebble area under his water dishes

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well the substrate you have is fine ou just need to add playsand to alter the texture a bit. This would make it so the substrate holds burrows well which means more fun for the sav.

No do not use any soil that has plant food in it as the chemicals they use are harmful to reptiles.

To load pictures: after the pop up window appears but before you attach the pic, click on "basic uploader" in the lower right corner. Then attach pic, click upload file, and Tada! Image is attached!

19. deadnateray

deadnateray Member

[

To load pictures: after the pop up window appears but before you attach the pic, click on "basic uploader" in the lower right corner. Then attach pic, click upload file, and Tada! Image is attached![/QUOTE]

tried that , the little wheel spins , but then nothing , no pics added just nothing , im going to try again today , and hope it was just an internet thing

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Did you wait along time? Sometimes it takes awhile to code it, especially from a phone.