This Disappears When Logged In

Distressed Wood Frog Help!

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by GinnyRancher, Mar 11, 2017.

1. GinnyRancher

GinnyRancher New Member

TL:DR - need guidance on limiting wood frog distress until he can be safely released.

I captured a wild wood frog late Tuesday night and brought it home to take some pictures and show my son. Overnight the temperature dropped quickly and it became very windy (30 mph gusts of 70). The weather is not expected to let up until next Saturday. I am afraid of taking him back after he's been acclimated to room temperature, and I'm not sure he will have a chance to find a suitable hiding spot before freezing over. I don't have a suitable long term habitat for a wood frog, I didn't intend to keep him longer than one night. He is making distress calls at night and I am worried he wont last long. I figured my options are to let him go and hope for the best or attempt to freeze him myself under controlled conditions until Saturday. I cannot find any guidance on safely freezing wood frogs. Does anyone here have experience with this or have any other suggestions?

2. to hide this ad.
  3. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I would release him, he would probably stand a better chance in the wild

4. GinnyRancher

GinnyRancher New Member

Any ideas on how to do it safely? It's very cold and windy so I imagine he will become disabled within a few feet and freeze pretty quickly after that. I'm afraid he wont be able to find appropriate cover to prevent damage from the freeze or being found by predators. I'm not sure exactly what to look for as far as finding a good spot to let him go.

5. Jay1718

Jay1718 Established Member

I sometimes find frogs under leaves while raking the yard, I'm assuming that's one way the deal with the cold, I could be wrong. I'm not exactly sure what the safest way to release him would be. I would take home to a wooded area and cover him with leaves, not like bury but provide a barrier from the freeze.
    Maybe someone else will chime in, but that is what I would do

6. Jsilverback64

Jsilverback64 Well-Known Member

If you can dig down a couple feet. Put some sort of leaves or debris in there and cover it with a board with a small rock under each corner to keep it raised just enough to let him leave. It's not ideal but it may help.

Jay1718 likes this.