This Disappears When Logged In

dirt for sub

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Cornyballpython, Sep 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cornyballpython

Cornyballpython Elite Member

hey i wus reading somewere that i could house gonzo(my tegu) on dirt as long as i baked it is that true? that would be cheaper than geting freshbeding every month-2 months like i have been

i used this for my mice a while ago and it helped with there smell but now im thinking maby gonzo would like it

-sara

p.s.
    would it be safe to use dirt in my snakes tank with the uth? just wunderin

2. Paleosuchus

Paleosuchus Established Member

Dirt is a mighty fine substrate for many species but because it is dirt it is dirty :rolleyes: ....Which is one reason why many people don't use it on every reptile, much easier to use a substrate that cleans up better like newspaper.

I use dirt for my monitors, straight from the bag an bought from home depot or lowes. Make sure if you get dirt this way or soil this way that it is top soil and has nothing added but maybe some twigs. The folks at lowes or home depot will help you out.

I never bake the dirt or freeze the dirt, just straight from the bag.

Dirt would be perfectly ok with the tegu except at feeding time when you want to be careful they dont ingest to much of this substrate.

An yes dirt would be fine for a substrate for snakes but also it goes back to feeding time. You must be careful if they eat in the enclosure they do not ingest the dirt to a large extent.

Hope that helped,
    -j

3. Cornyballpython

ok but would it be ok for on a uth? i just wana make shure it would becool to have a more realistic cage for all my herps :)

edit- oh yah i get the dirt from my back yard there is not pesdisides so im safe there

4. Paleosuchus

For a UTH, sure. Dirt retains heat to some extent so be sure to test out the different levels of the UTH on a rheostat to control the proper amount of heat output before you place a reptile in the cage.

All in all, dirt makes a cage look better(more natural obviously), an reptiles seem to love it.

Go on an use it with a UTH, will work great.

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

I would be a liitle apprehensive on using soil from the backyard without treating it. Though it is pesticide free it can still contain parasites and unwanted organisms. I would highly recommend baking it off to remove those.

Just my opinion.

6. Cornyballpython

i was planing on baking it i just need temps what temps should i bake it for?

thanks
    smiles
    sara

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yeah, dirt's my all time favorite substrate. Its about as natural as you can get. If you get it from your backyard, then baking's needed. If you buy it, all you have to do is make sure you buy completely organic stuff, with no additives to it. I forget the temps needed to bake it at, I seem to recall Merlin knows though.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I believe with dirt the temps were 325 for 30 minutes.
    But get ready as it WILL stink up the house!

9. Paleosuchus

I personally would just go out to home depot and get yourself a bag. Around 1 doller and something cents for quite a large bag. Saves the hassel of digging and bakeing, as Merlin said, stinks like a sun of a gun.

10. Cornyballpython

i would go to home depot but i dont have a car and my moms out of town and my dad is muding the landrey room and i am already going to the petstore to pick up some more mice ant thats the other side of town so yah

merlin thanks i was hoping i would get an answer my this morning :)

11. Cornyballpython

cus i am using dirt on one side then coconut bedding on the other and may be puting live plants should i have some dranege? and what ones of these plants can i use in his cage
    http://photobucket.com/albums/a147/teguplants/

thanks
    sara

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For some reason the pictures are coming to me too blurry to identify the plants.
    As far as cooking the dirt,...do your parents know what you have in mind? This is really going to stink up your house and the smell lingers for days!

13. Cornyballpython

well i just baked 2 batches

there is ellyfant ears and a lil tiny sago palm and another star leafed plant and one of the vines is a Pothos

would those be ok?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.