This Disappears When Logged In

Dieffenbachia

Discussion in 'Tropical Plants' started by porada, Feb 1, 2010.

1. porada

porada New Member

I have put dieffenbachia into a tank for large treefrogs. I have since read that it is toxic, but i have also found sites listing it as a good plant for frogs. I am thinking that maybe it is toxic to things that eat it, but not for things to live with. I was wondering if any of you have had experience with this plant.

Thanks,
    Jeff Porada

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

From what I understand, the raphides are only toxic when chewed on. It did note that on rare occasions brushing contact did cause skin irritation.

Hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Diffenbachia is commonly used. If the animals don't eat it there should be no problem.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I have that in my RETF tank. Not a problem.

5. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

I haven't had much luck with it but, any plants work for non plant eating species.

6. porada

porada New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I was worried that I may be poisoning the guys. One place I read that it would "almost instantly kill them" other places recommend them. I'm glad to hear that some of you have used them without incident.

7. MadDog

MadDog Elite Member

What about the feeder insects eating the plant and then the frogs eating the insects? Could this poss a threat to the frogs?

8. avoidtheboyd

avoidtheboyd Elite Member

Some people are just dumb when it comes to facts about things.... itll kill it instantly... well yea but i seriously doubt a frogs just gonna chew on a leaf