This Disappears When Logged In

Did You Know...

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Thalatte, May 11, 2013.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That roadrunners can fly?

Took my dogs out for a run and the started chasing something...it was a road runner and though the bird could outrun most of my dogs the one dog that has joint issues and is overweight was easily catching up. Then the roadrunner flew up into a tree. Didn't know they could do that. image.jpg image.jpg

On a side note the dogs also chased bunnies and pidgeons. And one even brought me a tail from some long dead animal...don't you love when your animals give you gifts?

2. Zappa230

Zappa230 Elite Member

Wait, I didn't know that. Well, cool. Until it poops on someone's head like a seagull, which has happened to me before, and isn't that great, especially at Navy Pier, which is in Chicago, for those of you not in the Chicagoland area.

3. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Lol There's actually a couple of road runners that hang out around our house, but they dont take flight very often.

4. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

You have roadrunners around your place?! Thats awesome!! Here in colorado we have rabbits squirrels deer and falcons that rip the heads off pigeons in our front yards!!

5. justor

justor Elite Member

I have seen them flutter up a wall and other obstacles, but I can't say I've actually seen one "fly".

This guy hangs out around the plaza where I work.
    22C8D6AC-15DD-4AA6-B46E-E7D7EB7DB843-732-00000057455CA3EE_zps02653ba4.jpg

6. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

That's pretty cool, I didn't know much about them. See you all teach me so much :)

7. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

We have a giant one where I work....he comes up past my knee. we feed him, so he is super fat not sure he could fly.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yep there are bunnies, gerbils, snakes (mostly rattlers and sidewinders), gophers, scorpions, owls (mainly burrowing but I have seen some larger barn and white ones), falcons, guinea fowls, quail, road runners, horned lizards down here. Well I am sure their are other species but these are ones I see a lot.

I have never seen a road runner fly either I thought that their wings were just for help stabilizing when jumping and not actually fully functional but nope they fly just fine. Guess they just prefer running.

9. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

That's pretty cool. Up in my area all we have are gray/red squirrels, a hawk, rabbits,the occasional garter snake, too many spring peepers, a barred owl, and an extremely overweight crow named Fred. (Fred has been hanging around my place since he hatched in the big pine tree.)

10. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

That is so cool you guys. Im so jealous :U

11. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

So...it can run faster than most predators, and if not, then it can fly? How are you not overpopulated with them?? That's very cool. :)

And I agree - I'm jealous of all the animals you guys get to see. For entertainment, we get to watch crows trying to break in through the windows at work. On a good day, seagulls. Other exotic varieties include varying sizes of spiders, squirrels, finches, and chickadees. As a kid, I used to see salamanders and garter snakes, although I'm now questioning whether that was a figment of my imagination as I have to go to reptile shows just to see them now. ;)