This Disappears When Logged In

Diapers for Oscar ??

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by nicole, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicole

nicole Elite Member

well apparantly I have run into a situation with Oscar,, he is apparantly come of age. So what I am wondering if anyone has ever heard of diapering your tortoises, one of my vets does it, but other than that I have never heard of it, lol. I need to do something as he is now showing everyone what he was naturally born with and leaving a disgusting mess on the carpet, multiple times a day. It is not urates or feces, I am just trying to keep this clean and pg friendly and get some sound advice.
    So what about diapers? :confused: I cant have him constantly leaving a mess like that, ,I do have a carpet cleaner, but the amount is just gross!
    He is also traumatizing visitors, lol. I do not like having to explain tortoise anatomy. lol

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i don't know if i should laugh or feel bad for you.

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I've seen it done on smaller torts, you'd probably have to get some extra large Depends for him, haha.
    They make a product for dogs that are incontinent or in heat that are usually cloth on the outside and plastic lined and you just put an absorbent pad in it, that might be the cheaper way to go so you only have to buy pads rather than a bunch of diapers.

Like this:
    Drs. Foster & Smith Female Pet Bloomers

4. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm LMAO!!! I'm so glad our six are outside!!! :p

5. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Thanks Lacey, but I dont think that will work with the hole in the back,, thats where the tortoise,,,, well you know,,, gosh how do I put this politely... male anatomy is located, so that would defeat the purpose.
    I think I may look into the diapers tomorrow,, or large adult diapers,,,
    I wonder if they get diaper rash,,,ughh this is frustrating.

I am glad however that he is well enought to have normal instincts,, I just wonder what is setting those instincts off,, I have no other turtles or torts at the moment, let alone any female ones. Is this breeding season in Africa?

6. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. That's rough.

I don't see why a diaper would hurt him at all.

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The mental image of a large Sulcata wondering around wearing a large diaper while ramming your feet just made my day!;)

8. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

Oh my goodness! What a funny image! :D I had absolutely no idea that tortoises did that! :eek:

9. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Seriously Nicole, you need to create a "spot" for him. Before Stanley had his two ladies, he used the access to the crawlspace of the house. He also used the garden hose holders that looked like a turtle. Stanley loved that so much, that Mom would only leave it down for a day or so.

You could find a rock about his size and put it on a tarp so the carpet stays clean. When he "starts up" take him to it, it won't take him long to realize what it's for. Pretty soon he'll go there himself and the "music" of tortiose love will be filling the house... seven or eight times a day!

10. savannah

savannah New Member

that is a little amusing,, Oscar is lucky I love him very much, lol.

If things dont work out with the other rescue, Oscar will be getting his own barn built for him, to stay in most of the time.

11. nicole

nicole Elite Member

whoops, the above post was from me, lol

12. Moshpitrockchick

Soooo many user names there Nicole. ;)

13. nicole

nicole Elite Member

not too many user names,, TOO MANY KIDS, lol.

14. Moshpitrockchick

Well at least they are enjoying the site...although you seem to be the main one to post under their names, haha.

You could just buy Oscar a cheap pack of briefs and wash them when he messes them up...

And whatever you do you MUST post pictures...especially if he' wearing his slippers too.

15. nicole

nicole Elite Member

there is way too much mess to wash,, they would leak everywhere!
    right this moment he is sleeping under my feet sporting a gi joe pull up.. the largest one they make for kids.. its actually the brand Goodnites. However the only downfall to these are they dont have the tabs, you just pull them up like underwear. I need the tabs to fasten on the side.....
    Have you ever tried pulling up a diaper on an almost 50 pound tortoise and getting it to stay in place,, while he is tucking in all his feet and grunting at you :eek: its a definate workout, lol
    Its been a while since I had diapers to dispose of,, I never really thought I would have to do it again, I had a party when I got the youngest done and over with, for three years I had two in diapers, (youngest son is developmentally delayed, so it took him a little longer to potty train)
    So here I go with the diapers again, lol But I think the next box is going to be girlie diapers so I can give him a complex, lol

16. The D

The D Mango Empress

Hahahaha, We NEED pictures Nicole!

17. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

oh my gosh this is making me crack up. But I understand your dillemma Nicole lol I used to be CNA for 10 years before I had a kid and work at a nursing home with Alsheimer's patients who would beat the living you know what out of you trying to wrestle adult diapers on them and doing all there care ect. I could get into more detail but it is sensitive. But never did I ever think about doing what you are LOL
    Buy I can understand wanting to get the girl ones just to give oscar a complex lmao
    And yes please post pictures I definaltely cannot say I thought Id seen everything esp on this site!

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

i can see him in barbie ones now....

19. nicole

nicole Elite Member

I was thinking more along the line of something princess, lol

20. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

I use diapers for Freya (miss incontinence) and Zena (your blanket would be great with some poo on it). I don't know how the would work for Oscar and his situation though. Other than training him for using one spot, I don't know! Gave me a laugh for the day though. My pain from surgery was bad today, so I needed it. Tell Oscar I said thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.