This Disappears When Logged In

Desert Tortoise HELP!!

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Khelmoria, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Okay not my tortoise but I am breaking down what I know.....this is my dance instructors tortoise she mentioned tonight that one tortoise was just not going to make it. The tortoise is not eating, apparently it has never eaten.....long story short I told her she should not give up on the little guy! Please help me help this little guy before he dies!!
    I had a desert tortoise before but he was big and ate everything.

· How long have you owned the animal?

Since they were hatched. they are about 1 year old

· What is the enclosure size?
    not sure exactly.

· What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)?
    Dirt and rocks.

· What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? (UVB and Basking)
    using neither, they live in an arizona room.

· What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured?
    not measured.

· What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured?
    not measured.

· What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal?
    kale, lettuce, spinach, strawberries, misc. fruit.

· What exactly are you concerned about?
    baby tortoise is not eating, it is much smaller than its sibling.

· Please provide images of the animal as well as the enclosure if possible.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

· How long have you owned the animal?

Since they were hatched. they are about 1 year old

· What is the enclosure size?
    not sure exactly.

· What type of substrate are you using (shavings, bark, paper towel, etc.)?
    Dirt and rocks.

DOes this hold burrows?

· What type of lighting are you using and at what distance(s) are they from the animal? (UVB and Basking)
    using neither, they live in an arizona room.

The screen or glass will filter out UVB. So that is one concern. Have her take them out side in the evenings or early mornings when it isnt too hot so that they can get natural UV.

· What are the temperatures within the enclosure and how are they being measured?
    not measured.

This is very important. Too cold they dont digest. Too hot they feel sick and wont eat. If their body temp gets over 90 for too long they will die.

· What is the humidity within the enclosure and how is it being measured?
    not measured.

humdiity is very important for the babies to stay hydrated and grow well. They need to be soaked atleast twice a week and they need a humid burrow to stay in. Without these things they may not have proper hydration.

· What are you feeding (or attempting to feed) the animal?
    kale, lettuce, spinach, strawberries, misc. fruit.

Lettuce isnt very nutritious. Strawberries and fruit are just plain awefull. Desert torts are unable to process the fruit and it will lead to many issues like kidney failure. Kale is ok. Spinach shouldn't be feed in abundance.
    Natural grass is best or weeds like dandelions. Also cactus. An easy way to raise food is to just take some bird seed and plant that. Once the torts eat all the seed just plant more! Easy and cheap.

3. Vers

Vers Elite Member

I would totally avoid kale, spinach and fruits. None of these food items are beneficial for these animals (or most other herbivorous desert species). Check this link out for more info on diet. You will find more in depth info on the main site.

4. Khelmoria

Khelmoria Elite Member

Thank you!!!! they took him outside and he is eating right now!!! :D
    they are working on getting everything in check. what should temps and humidity be?
    Thank you so much you are so awesome Thala!

Thank you that really helps, I will pass it along!

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member