This Disappears When Logged In

Desert Tortoise Has Been in His Burrow for a Week.

Discussion in 'Tortoises' started by Alexelavoie, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Alexelavoie

Alexelavoie New Member

I'm a new desert tortoise owner so I am new to all this. My little Edmund has a nice big yard with lots of different desert plants, his own burrow, and I try to feed him a varied diet. But my little guy has been in his burrow for the last week. He hasn't come out and hasn't eaten. I'm so worried about him. Is this normal? Is something wrong with him? Please help. Thank you all.

2. lopez82

lopez82 Elite Member

Where are you located? A lot of times they'll enter a period of dormancy when the weather is hot.

3. Alexelavoie

Alexelavoie New Member

I live in Phoenix and it just started hitting 100 degrees. Any tips on making him comfortable and happy?

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well when are you checking on him?

I am in yuma and my desert torts are out of their hides between 530-7am and then again between about 6-8pm. They are only out long enough to eat their fill of whatever they decide to eat that day and then they go directly back to bed. It's how they deal with the excessive heat of az. So he may be coming out but your not around when he is out and about.
    A lot of times the only reason I know Dozer has been out of his cave/house at all is the poop smears around a mostly gone pile of veggetation.