This Disappears When Logged In

Defensive Boa

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by derp1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. derp1

derp1 Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone has and ideas why my boa has become aggressive.its a male khal albino about two years old I've had him since he was a hatchling. He was always very friendly and never bit me I even brought him into school and talked about genetics and a lot of people held him he was so nice. About a month ago I bought him a new animal plastics cage and he bit me while I put him in the cage. since then he strikes when ever I open the cage. So if anyone has any ideas please post.

Thanks

2. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

Have you tried putting him in a different cage?

3. derp1

derp1 Member

His first enclosure was a 74qt tub on a rack and hes about five feet now and the cage he's in now is the best enclosure for him that I have right now

4. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Does he calm down after being taken out of the cage? How is the heat and temp gradient set up? Are there suitable hides available on both the warm and cool ends? What humidity level are you maintaining now? Is it higher or lower than in the previous enclosure? What's his current size and weight? How much/often are you feeding him?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Is it a bite and coil or just a quick tag and release?

6. derp1

derp1 Member

He's calmer outside the cage the cage is heated with flexwatt it's 90 on his hot spot and he's got two extra large exo terra hides not sure on his weight and he around 4 1/2 feet and it's a quick tag and release

7. derp1

derp1 Member

His humidity is around 70 percent it's about 10 percent higher than his other cage and changed his substrate to cypress mulch

8. toddnbecka

Sounds like he's stressed about the new enclosure, should settle down over time.

9. derp1

derp1 Member

It's been two months

10. toddnbecka

Then he must really be hating the new enclosure for some reason. Has anything else changed in his environment?