This Disappears When Logged In

Debate on the Most Humane Way to Kill Rats or Mice

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by savannahmon181, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savannahmon181

savannahmon181 Elite Member

I don't want to start fights just wondering what other people think, how you should let the rats go. So you can freeze them for f/t for you herp.

I have a co2 kill tank so I can just put the rats in there(its big enough to hold up to 10 rats) and it only takes a min for the rats to pass out. I wait about ten min so they don't come back to life.

Anyways just let me know what you think or what your ways are. Thank you!

2. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

It is illegal in South Africa to use gas or to freeze them, it is inhumane. I simple put one in a plastic bag that is not see through and smack them against the wall. With in a split second the rat is dead, therefore it did not go through any pain or suffering.

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Co2 is definitely the best way. They just sort of fall asleep. Very gentle.

4. savannahmon181

Gas is considered to be the most humane way by the USC and most colleges around the US.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Co2 is certainly the most humane way. I have also done the whack on the corner of a table for a fresh killed rat.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Without a doubt the CO2! What it does is to sink down and displace the oxygen so they just fall asleep and don't wake up. I fail to see how anyone could say that it isn't humane. There is no pain, injury or fear involved.
    Just nighty night!

7. savannahmon181

I totally agree

8. Froich

Froich Well-Known Member

A couple years ago when I was in highschool I volunteered at a pet shop to earn community service hours. They gave me the worst jobs. One of those jobs was to kill the mice. The pet shop owner told me the best way was to bash their head on the table by swinging them by their tail. It killed them instantly, so I would recommend that if you do not have cO2 available.

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I have also heard of the following: place rodent on flat surface, and place a straight solid object over neck (ruler, screwdriver, etc) and give a sharp yank of tail - quick severing of spine.

10. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I did not make our countries rules.:p

11. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I think a lot of rules are made by people with no practice - I have a hard time believing any herp keeper would agree to that, or endorse it. a bunch of guys in suites who have never touched a reptile, rat, or mouse, making laws about reptiles, rats and mice.

12. venus

venus Founding Member

CO2 for me as well. That is what I used to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.