This Disappears When Logged In

Dealing with Water

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by HerpFanatic, Mar 31, 2012.

1. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

How do you guys deal with the water that builds up in the bottom of the tank? I have a inch to a inch and a half of rocks and I have to drain the tank weekly, but moving substrate and putting a tube in the stones and siphoning out the water is a pain. Should I just leave a tube in the dirt to connect my tube too? This way its there I only have to hook a longer tube in. What do you all do?

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

We have a member here who used a set tub as the base of his enclosure and built a enclosure on top of that. Not sure what your enclosure if made out of, or what your tub for the water is made out of. Obviously it's not removable by the way you're explaining it.

3. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

No its not removable it is one of the large exo-terra tanks.. Everything is right in the tank. So weekly I have to siphon the water out. It is a solid glass bottom so I can not put a drain in it. The water is coming from the humidifier. I do know that much.

4. Jessica90

Jessica90 Elite Member

id say to just attach it where it stays in theres and run the siphon up so its just in the back and when u get water just siphon but at least that way you dont have to keep moving everything

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Do you have a raised platform like egg grate where your substrate sits on?
    Or are the rocks right on the bottom?

6. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

I have nothing on the bottom, Just the stone, then topsoil and plantation soil mix, Then plantation soil on the very top. I am going to build a little device to leave down in the stones that the hose would connect to. Thats all I can think of.

7. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That should work I would think.

8. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

What kind of animal are you keeping in it? If you put an UTH under your tank it will create humidity but also dry out your substrate so you don't have to drain it. You would actually have to add more water to keep it wet. Depends on what your keeping though, don't know if that would work for your set up but it does dry out the bottom

9. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

It houses a CWD, This home only has to last 6 months until I build a much larger enclosure. I am going to try a undertank heater and see what happens, I have a few of small ones laying around. 4" x 6" So maybe that would help. Ill hook that up tomorrow morning and see how that works. I have live plants in there they just can not suck up the water fast enough and they are growing like wild fire I have to crop then down already.

10. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Ok so I threw a spare heat pad under the tank and drained the water one more time lets see what happens.

11. JoeyG

Good luck!

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, sorry, I missed your question; the easiest thng is to put a shallow tray (cat litter?) close to where the main jet of mist comes out, that will catch much of the excess, just empty every couple of days or so.

13. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Well now I am waiting on a new fan from Zoo-Med Seems as the fan is going bad in the repti-fogger only after three weeks. :(

14. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Just a little update, I ran a piece of pvc pipe from the outlet of the fogger, so that it now drips into the swimming pond. The heat pad seems to be working as well. I will take pictures of the pvc pipe tomorrow so you all can see what I did. I would of just moved the fogger tube, but dummy me installed it through a hole in the screen. So that is kind of permanent. All seems to be working, I want to thank every one for the suggestions.

15. JoeyG

Happy to hear things are working out for you!

16. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Thanks again for all the suggestions. All is working well as I could want it to.

Here are the images I promised.

PVC pipe redirecting fog and it now drips in the water bowl:
    [​IMG]

Different angle:
    [​IMG]

A little more close up:
    [​IMG]

17. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo Elite Member

Looks good. Happy to see it worked out :).

18. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Clever idea!