This Disappears When Logged In

Dealing with Omnivores Who Want to Be Herbivores-- Random Idea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan01, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

So i have been having trouble getting my beardie to eat his veggies and had an idea. Has anyone had success with blending up greens into slush (with a bit of water) then feed your guy through a syringe without its needle? Would this be too stressful? Because him not eating his greens is stressful on ME, so i think now it may be his turn.

Bad idea? :)

No, seriously though, has anyone ever done this just to get their lizard (any type of omnivore) to eat his greens? I'm tempted to try it.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Bad idea. Anytime you force feed an animal it is stressful.
    Try not feeding any insects for a day or two and just give the greens.

3. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Just to be sure, is this an adult? Because juveniles and hatchlings will normally eat more bugs, and should. And that would only be ok if you can get the dragon to take it from the syringe willingly. Never force them.

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Force-feeding should only be done when medically necessary, as advised by your veterinarian.

For adult beardies, simply letting them get hungry (no insects for a day or two) is often enough to entice them to eat greens.

You can also try placing something live and moving in the bottom of their bowl, and the greens on top. Earthworms (smaller dragons) and nigh crawlers (for large adult dragons) are good for this. Their moving causes the greens to move, and your dragon may go for it, even if only in an attempt to get to the prize at the bottom.

5. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I didn't ketch the title before now. I mean Omnivores who want to be carnivores :). But i am just frustrated with the green deal. I got my dragon of Jan 2 2014,then his head was roughly the size of my thumb.

Close up Spartan.jpg

So I'm assuming he is an adult. I wasn't given an age when I bought him.

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

*edit*

Is that pic current? that is a pic of a young beardie... An adult beardie will be 16+" long, from nose tip to tail tip.

Don't worry. Your little guy should be eating lots of bugs at that age.

For comparison, here is my adult female Beardie on normal paver sized bricks.
    Picture 394.jpg