This Disappears When Logged In

Dead to Live Feeders

Discussion in 'Kingsnakes' started by mrclean44, Jul 24, 2013.

1. mrclean44

mrclean44 Member

Hey everyone I was wondering what's the best way to transition my king snake from eating already dead/frozen mice to being able to eat live ones. Since I've had her she's been on thawed out mice. While feed however i do use tongs and make sure she constricts the medium size mouse then consumes it. However, she's not dumb and knows its already dead and unconstricts to completely swollow the mouse. So is it ok to just "throw" in a small live mouse into the feeding container and just let her natural instincts take over?

Here are her statistics: Age: 8-10 months
    Length: 2' 4"
    Width: About the size of a penny
    Feeding Schedual: 2 medium sized mice every Saturday

Unfortunately this is the only pix I have of her, I will take more!
    IMG_0179.jpg

2. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Everyone is going to tell you not to worry about it and to continue feeding dead. It is safer for the snake since the rodents can't bite when they are dead an there is no health benefit to feeding live rodents.

3. mrclean44

mrclean44 Member

What about feeding her anoles??

4. Andyc3020

Andyc3020 Elite Member

Just so you know, I'm only answering your questions the way I have seen others answer similar questions to this one. I have never kept snakes. But there really is no reason to force your snake to eat live animals from what I understand.

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

Why do you want her to eat live? My snakes eat live and I really wish they would take FT. As stated the mouse can harm the snake.
    Most of the anoles you see for sale are WC and may carry parasites.

6. repgirl

repgirl Active Member

My pigme ball python has gotten bit a few times by mice. As Andyc3020 has said, if she takes the de-thawed mice just fine, there shouldnt be a reason to feed her live. From my knowledge there really isnt a difference.

7. mrclean44

mrclean44 Member

OK Thanks guys,
    Truthfully i just wanted to try something different but since there really is no reason to change to live feeders, ill just continue giving her Frozen/Thawed out mice.

8. Poison

Poison Elite Member

???????

9. repgirl

repgirl Active Member

excuse me, Pastel ball python. lol

10. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

There's an article you should read on here about what happens if a snake is left alone with a rodent. (I can't link it cause I'm on my phone) be warned, its very graphic. **While I know you wouldn't leave it alone like they did**, rats, and mice can and will chew on the snake while the snake is constricting the prey. We all know how nasty rodents are..... So safer to keep feeding frozen thawed.

For our fosters who won't take frozen thawed, I have to literally hold a spoon in the rodents mouth while the snake is constricting it. Its not that easy to be honest. I sometimes have to flip the snake over to do it and by that time they've already been bitten.

11. bearsnake27

bearsnake27 Member

Well if you want to try live you can buy med mice that's what I buy for mine he's about 48 in. And has never have a problem. If a mouse seems aggressive you can always stun them if necessary. And don't worry king snakes normally have no problem switching to live.

12. mjack360

mjack360 Active Member

13. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Just my 0.02 here, but I would gently place the live feeder in the enclosure and let your snake do its thing. Don't dangle it or try to stun it, what you will end up with is a terrified feeder that will attack the first thing that it come in contact with. Then keep an eye on things while your snake eats. That said, if your animal is eating F/T, there is no reason to switch. As others have said, there is the risk of a bite, as well as additional time and expense with live. If it wasn't for several ball pythons that simply won't switch, I would stop breeding rats and order frozen in bulk. I would be a lot less hassle.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

This!