This Disappears When Logged In

De-worming with Panacur (HELP!)

Discussion in 'Colubrids *General*' started by Murder Serpent, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

Hi I have a 24 inch male glossy snake (arizona elegans) that was wild caught so I purchased some panacur beacuse I've had deaths occur in WC snakes before and I really don't want that to happen again. I get it and it says its for HORSES?!?!?! I realize it can be dosed lower to suite a snake but I don't know what to do or where to start. The purchase was for 1 box of panacur and a book "Understanding Reptile Parasites" but the people sent me 2 boxes of panacur and no book :confused::mad:

Somebody help me!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of my wild caught glossy snakes died a day after arrival:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really don't want this to happen again! :(

2. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I would suggest contacting the supplier and getting information straight from them...

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Contact an exotics vet. They may have you go in and weigh him, it might cost you 20 bucks or so. However it will be money well spent so you do not overdose him.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Attempting to treat an animal without vet supervision can be VERY dangerous.
    Keep in mind that with anti parasite medicine you are essentially administering a POISON!
    Too little and it does nothing but breed a drug resistant strain.
    Too much gives you a dead snake!

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You really need to go to a herp vet.

6. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

Definitely see an exotics vet before treating. There may be something else wrong with your snake also. Parasites are the number one suspect though. The vet can give you a medicine that is in the correct dosing, and in the correct category for the parasites to be treated for, it's far more worthwhile to you than losing another snake. Even in the correct dosing, some of these medications can be dangerous, as they are generally neuro toxins. Please be careful in how you use them. I raise sheep and horses, and have the required cats and dogs as well as all of my reptiles, and there is no comparing the dosing or medicines required for the different species. Good Luck, I hope this snake makes it, it is hard to finally get a pet you've really wanted and have bad things happen to it that are out of your control .

7. Murder Serpent

Murder Serpent Elite Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I live in bakersfield, California and I'm pretty sure the nearest herp vet is near the beach 2-3 hrs drive away... I guess I can call local normal vets and see if any have reptile experience. The reason
    I'm worried is that I've had to force feed fuzzy mice to this glossy snake because it refuses to eat ANYTHING! I've tried lizards and mice dead and alive, day and night... It was wild caught, sent to me and the people I bought it from said to try lizards.... lol no kidding, it's a glossy snake.

8. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

9. esbat

esbat Reptile Rescue Premium Member

Panacur doesn't work on all parasites, it's best to get a fecal exam done. Any vet can do a fecal and a considerate vet could consult with a herp vet for proper meds and dosage for you. Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.