This Disappears When Logged In

Dangerous Fellow

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Reptilius, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Reptilius

Reptilius Active Member

I got called out one morning to what was described as a Cobra. I immediately laughed this off, as Cobras are just not found on the Estate. The person when I got there, said that the snake was in the Land Rovers' bonnet. On opening the bonnet, I was faced with a juvenile Mozambique Spitting Cobra. Turns out the owners of the property had been to a Game Reserve some 400 kilometers away for the weekend. The snake hitched a ride home with them.
    I duly caught the little bundle of danger and he was then donated to a Reptile Park.

Some Pics.

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00451-1.jpg

DSC00448.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Gorgeous snake, glad nobody was injured and the snake is also safe!

3. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Beautiful! Thanks for the photos, mate.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Beautiful.
    I bet that gets your heart racing dealing with one of those.
    Did you wear goggles or something to deal with it?

5. Reptilius

Reptilius Active Member

Absolutely necessary to wear goggles when dealing with this species as they seem to launch a never ending supply of venom at you continuously. Incidently, this is not a particularly aggressive species to work with. Not when compared to the Black Mamba.

I have worked with the big five of South African Snakes - Black Mamba, Green Mamba, Boomslang, Puff Adder and Mozambique Spitting Cobra. Others in my country substitute the Spitter with Cape or Forest Cobra.

As suggested by Kriminaal - each and every one of these species definitely gets the heart beating faster and the adrenalin rushing.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would be seriously concerned for your sanity if they didn't!

7. thaboi

thaboi Elite Member

That would be an awesome job working with those types of snakes beautiful snake

8. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

Beautiful snake! Love the tiger striping on it's belly/throat... :D

If a cobra doesn't make your nervous in the slightest bit, that is when you need to stop working with them.

9. Reptilius

Reptilius Active Member

The problem with Cobras is the fact that they are pretty laid back and calm in general.
    This engenders a False Sense Of Security, which in turn allows one to relax just that little bit extra when working with them.
    This can become so fatal so quickly.

One of the few Cobras that will not take prisoners however is the Cape Cobra.