This Disappears When Logged In

Damaged Skin On My Pythons Head.

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Ki schroeder, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Ki schroeder

Ki schroeder New Member

I've already reached out to my exotic veterinarian so it will be checked out regardless, but I came home one last night and saw this on my pythons head. he doesn't seem bothered by it but he won't let me get a close look at it. I'm also a first time owner so I'm not sure what discomfort would look like. any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Can't be entirely sure from the pictures, but if your referencing the dull spot in the center behind the eyes, that just looks like a possible patch of either retained shed or possibly dull scales from a borderline shed. First thing is to double check your setup, especially the humidity. And assuming I've got the right spot in question, this probably doesn't really warrant a vet trip, although it certainly won't hurt either. A full description of your setup and a pic of the whole cage will help us find any issues that may need corrected.

Ki schroeder likes this.
  3. Ki schroeder

Ki schroeder New Member

okay, so hes currently in a 10gal tank. with a more than large enough hid for privacy on one side and a water dish on the other that's big and deep enough to submerge his body. i keep him on aspen and there is a heat pad under the hide side of his tank. the temp is around 92 on the hot side during the day and around 75 at night. humidity i cant give you a number on since the gauge i got is a dud but i think its in a good area. im buying a new one tomorrow. the reason for the 10gal is the 40 i had broke while moving it to the new location. ill be getting a new one in two weeks. ill take a picture here a little later when i get home from work. any advice is always welcome. rather be corrected than cause the snake harm. also, is there a way to tell the sex? i guess i can google that but i have yet to take the time to. THANKS AGAIN!

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

If your using a screen top with nothing on it I can pretty much guarantee you don't have enough humidity, they require a pretty much constant 50% or more. I actually like to keep mine closer to 60%. Also, when you say the hot spot is 92 during the day but lower at night, does that mean your shutting off the heat pad? The ambient temps in the cage can go up and down some but the hot spot should stay pretty much constant. Also, are you measuring it with an IR temp gun of some sort?

Ki schroeder likes this.
  5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I was in a hurry earlier and forgot to add that there is no external way to tell the gender of a ball python. They can be either popped or probed to determine sex, but neither of these methods should be attempted by a novice. You can severely injured the animal if either of these are done incorrectly.

Ki schroeder likes this.
  6. Ki schroeder

Ki schroeder New Member

Yeah I did some research while waiting for your reply and made some changes. hes now on bio earth bedding. this has helped the humidity quite a bit. He also seems to enjoy it more. The aspen was just drying the cage out like crazy. I have half the screen covered with w a towel which has also helped retain the humidity. I'm however still having trouble keeping the humidity stable. I use two hygrometers, one on either side of the enclosure. The side covered with the towel gets around 70% after a misting but will eventually drop to around 46% and hold there until the next misting. The side under the heat lamp never seems to rise above 30% except for after misting where it will have a higher % for a short time before escaping through the screen. I forgot to take a picture of the enclosure and I apologize. I will do that tonight. I do fear how i am going to keep the humidity stable in his new enclosure if I'm having trouble with the small one. as for the heat, hes on a timer. as soon as the lamp goes out his heat pad under the hide turns on. Is this okay or should i keep the pad on at all times?

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

The heat pad should be on a thermostat and be on at all times. A heat lamp should only be needed if the cage ambient temperature gets too low, and ceramic heat emitters tend to be better for that purpose anyway.
    Now as to keeping the humidity, get rid of the towel, despite what your thinking they do little to hold humidity and will tend to become mildew factories when kept damp. Any sort of sheet plastic, acrylic, or even saran wrap or tinfoil will do a much better job. You'll also want to cover the entire screen except where any light fixtures have to pass through. This will help retain the heat and humidity longer, so along with the substrate change it should be a lot easier to get the humidity into the proper range.
    Now a couple things on tanks. Not saying this to give you a hard time, just in the animals best interests. To be blunt, tanks are best left to fish. Some of the purpose built tanks made for reptiles aren't too bad, but they usually require some mods as they all still come with screen tops. If your serious about keeping this animal over the long term, you might want to give serious thought to one of the PVC cages made by a company called animal plastics, or one of the several others that make similar cages. I'll admit they are pricey, but tend to be worth it in the long run.
    Now if your handy, you could always build a cage, or even a custom top for a tank to get you by and make care a bit easier. Just some things to consider.