This Disappears When Logged In

Cypress Mulch?

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by ccmelin, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ccmelin

ccmelin Member

A lot of care sheets recommend cypress mulch as a substrate, as it doesn't really mold and keeps excellent humidity. I picked some up from the local garden store just to test it out. After washing and baking it, I'm still skeptical. Is has a lot of dust/dirt/sliver like pieces in it. I also wonder about it giving slivers, I know I wouldn't want to live on it.

Anyone have some thoughts/suggestions for using it?

2. chibinaja

chibinaja Well-Known Member

I use it for my viper boa as it was suggested to me by the seller and a few sites I researched info on. Now I got mine from a pet store it was sort of a cypress mulch/moss mix but it seems to work well and thus far I have had no issues

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Cypress mulch is fine and many use it for humidity loving species. The dirt and slivers are normal since it is basically ground up trees.
    Just be certain it is natural cypress and not the red dyed stuff.

4. ccmelin

ccmelin Member

Awesome. thanks guys :)

5. Orca

Orca Elite Member

The only issue I've heard of with the cyprus mulch is it having mites. But since you so carefully cleaned it, that possible issue is taken care of :) Make sure whatever has it for the substrate doesn't eat directly on it so they don't accidentally ingest a piece.