This Disappears When Logged In

Cypress Mulch Questions

Discussion in 'Substrates/Bedding/Flooring' started by Khronik, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Khronik

Khronik Active Member

I've been using eco earth and moss as substrate for my BRB and had seen recommendations for cypress mulch everywhere.

Had read its mold resistant, holds humidity well, etc
    Decided to get a bag from the pet shop.
    After getting it I've been looking at how to sterilize it even tho its probably OK to just use out of the bag. During my search I found conflicting answers on sterilizing it and that it molds, holds spores of some sort that are deadly to snakes, dries out easily, etc.. basically everything opposite of all of the care sheets for BRBs using cypress mulch.

Q1: what is the best way to sterilize the mulch?
    Q2: is cypress mulch mold/mildew resistant?
    Q3: is cypress mulch really safe to use?

Plan on using eco earth with the mulch on top, with moss in select areas.

2. Khronik

Khronik Active Member

ended up boiling the mulch twice and mixing it with the ecoearth to use as a substrate.

decided id post this in case anyone was wondering how well the cypress mulch works for humidity.
    - the tank shot up to 95% humidity within the hour using a screen top that is 90-95% covered with layers of cling wrap that is duct taped to the lid(will be swapping this for plexi glass, drilling some holes for ventilation and using aqua silicone to adhere to the screen frame)
    - normally the humidity sits at 80%, +/-5%

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I know many people who use cypress mulch. I have used it in the past for my ball pythons.
    What we used was bagged cypress mulch from the garden store. Just took it straight from the bag and used it. Cypress is a wood that naturally occurs in swampy areas so it tends to not mold.