This Disappears When Logged In

Cypress Mulch and Humidity with Desert Species

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by YellowOctopus, Dec 30, 2010.

1. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

For Christmas, I got a $50 gift certificate to my favorite local pet store.

Don't spend it all in one place, you say? Bah. That's exactly what I did this afternoon.

For Hyperion, my Sonoran gopher snake who is currently on paper towel with <40% humidity and day temps from 88F (basking spot) to 85F (warm side) to 78F (cool side) and 74F at night, I bought some cypress mulch. [edit]For photos, check out my album.[/edit]

The thought process was that he's had some very minor issues with end-of-tail shedding his last two sheds (he's old skin free now, by the way) and I thought that cypress mulch might be a good idea. I'm now second-guessing myself on that and wondering if he should be on aspen, to keep his humidity down.

Thoughts? Should I try out the cypress? Should I switch to aspen? Should I alternate the two, busting out the cypress when he's getting blue? Should I do something I didn't mention?

Before I use the cypress, assuming I do use the cypress, should I bake it first? Just the regular drill, an hour at 300F? Cover it?

Thanks!

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have never had an issue with the bagged cypress mulch that comes from the garden center.
    However some places just have a big pile of it that they give you some of and it will have bugs in it.
    I use aspen with my bullsnake.
    The cypress will work fine. You will still be the one controlling the amount of water. It will hold moisture longer than the aspen so don't over do it. You don't want the humidity high all the time, only during a shed.
    Another way is to provide a humid hide that the snake can go to.

3. YellowOctopus

YellowOctopus Elite Member

Thanks! He's seeming to like it, but I'm still working on rearranging it all. Humidity is a little high (~65%) but seems to be going down.