This Disappears When Logged In

CWD with little bumps on his underside (BIG picture)

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by LiveSquid, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

On his hind legs and tail, and a few on his belly and chest. Am I worrying for nothing? Im a new dad and I dont know if these are the femoral pores Ive read about, if theyre mites, if its irritation, or if its nothing. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

THe femoral pores are on his inner thigh below his vent...those are normal as you stated but I cant say Ive ever seen bumps on a WD body like yours has. Have you had him checked for parasites? Can you give us some husbandry info too? Tems,humidity,substrate,last defecation..

3. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

looks like...ummm
    A vet checkup to me

4. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Ive had him for about nine days and no, he hasnt had a checkup. His temps are ~87 - ~77, his humidity Im not sure of (havent found a hygrometer that measures up to 90%) but I mist his tank twice a day and most days take him outside for a while and mist him there too. His substrate is just the little green reptile carpet stuff. When I first got him home he ate like crazy but has since slowed down to four or five superworms and a couple of crickets a day. He poops at least once daily, usually right after I give him new water, the jerk.

He's friendly and active, has some appetite, still lkes to soak and bask, etc. He seems to behave perfectly normally. He spends a lot of time running around on his branches, maybe its just some kind of callus? I have a MegaRay UVB lamp on order and his current setup is temporary until I get his semi-permanent home renovated.

I suppose I will have to find out who in my area takes care of reptiles. I dont think the vet I use for my dogs cares for them.

Thanks

5. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

ummm....as savannah said...i have never seen bumps like that...good luck tho

6. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Thanks.

7. venus

venus Founding Member

Definintely not normal. Can you see any bugs crawlin around or stuck under the scales that are raised?

8. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

It looks like some type of parasite cause of the raised scales, you should get a fecal done and check for external parasites/bugs/fungus as well.

9. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Ok.. this is what Im talking about, why I kind of think its just some kind of callusing. Notice how the parts of his legs that are on the branch appear to be pretty much the same area as is bumpy.

[​IMG]

10. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

OK. Thanks for all the input. I will definitely get it checked. And I'll take a magnifying glass to his belly pronto.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

calluses from rubbing would be in strips, not little isolated bumps. It is possibly irritation form tick or mite bites. Only a vet will be able to tell you for sure.
    Where are you located and perhaps someone here can recommend a good herp vet in your area.

12. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Thanks, Merlin. Im in New Orleans, LA. I figured I would call a couple of the LPS who deal in reptiles and ask them for a reference.

13. Merlin

14. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Thanks.. I found this:
    http://www.anapsid.org/vets/louisiana.html

The list is really pretty old, but the two nearest me are still in operation so Im calling them both tomorrow to see who can take me first..

15. Merlin

Good luck! And please let us know what you find out!

16. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Count on it!

And thanks for all the help, everybody

17. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I've seen bumps like that before, but on a juvi iguana. He had a mite infestation that had gone unnoticed for months, after awhile the bumps got bigger and became sores and then the owner finally decided to call me and ask for help, after i got rid of the mites the sores scabbed and then healed up and all that is left are some irregular scales that you cant notice unless you are looking for them.

18. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

Thanks, Moshpit! That at least narows it down.. Is there something I can try myself? I know he still needs a checkup, but maybe I dont have to spend $50 for their meds if theres something else that works..

19. SpindleHead

SpindleHead Elite Member

This behavior is very common, my WD did the same thing and I was advised that they would do this often. Generally you will change the water, give it about 15 minutes so they can poo and then change the water again.

I agree with the concensus here and suggest you take him to the vet. It may be nothing but at least you can put your mind at ease.

20. LiveSquid

LiveSquid Elite Member

My regular vet referred me to an exotics vet. I called and he's booked for two weeks straight. I told them that this really cant wait for two weeks, its gotta be easy peasy for him to look at her for ten minutes and tell me whats wrong. Maybe e can squeeze me in by Friday. Keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck. With any luck I can get this sorted in a day or two.

I will keep you informed of other developments, no matter how trivial (see above, lol).

Thanks again, everyone.

Brandon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.