This Disappears When Logged In

CWD Gaping

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by CentriRitanni, Jun 19, 2012.

1. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Quick update: today she had absolutely no interest in food, and retired to her sleeping spot 5 hours early. :/ I'm going to try feeding her just waxworms for the next few days (it's her favorite food, and a little fat definitely will not hurt), and hopefully she'll take them and not seem so lethargic. I texted the vet about it, and he thinks it may be basically a stomach ache from the antibiotics (a little more complex than that, but that's the gist). If she doesn't improve, another vet visit is in order for this little one.

2. CentriRitanni

After much on and off of her eating, I noticed a trend: she will only eat when the dogs are in the room. I thought that was really weird. Anyone have experience with that sort of behavior?

On a side note, the antibiotics are not making her poo runny, so I'm going to put her back on substrate (she likes to dig). She can't have small particles, but I was wondering if maybe a few inches of soil with sphagnum mixed in and in a layer on top would be alright? She's not big on eating plants (mostly just melon), so I'm not too concerned about her ingesting it, but just wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I would hold off on the substrate until she is finished with her antibiotics :)

4. CentriRitanni

Perhaps you have a different suggestion then: She's digging at the paper towels and has managed to rip of her nails out. I had slate in there at one point, but she liked digging at the side of it, which also messed up her nails.

5. CentriRitanni

I'm at a bit of a loss. I'd like to keep her on paper towels or a smooth surface, but she's damaging her nails which is inhibiting her ability to climb, and I'm having trouble justifying substrates that allow her to further damage her nails. Right now, due to the condition of her front nails, she's having problems clinging to branches when she jumps to them. I contacted the vet, who assures me the nails will grow back, but in the meantime, I'm really not sure what to use for substrate.

6. mshrmheadcharge

Hmm...does she have open areas where her nail was? If so you definitely do not want substrate getting into that....is she digging or chasing her reflection in the glass?

7. mshrmheadcharge

Usually they do not dig...try making some adjustments to the enclosure by eliminating the reflection in the glass, how big is the enclosure now?

8. CentriRitanni

There were no obvious signs of open wounds where her nails were, but I found 2 of her nails hooked into the paper towels (and missing from her toes), and several of her toenails are basically "filed" down to a nub. I put triple antibiotic on the tips of the toes that have nails missing, just in case. She's in a 50 gallon tank for at least 2-3 more weeks (I want her meds over and at least a week to make sure she's better [she has an adult enclosure, but I've got another dragon in there right now, and I don't want to put them together if she's still sick]). 3 sides of the tank are covered by white fabric, I had all 4 sides covered, but she wasn't eating (for whatever reason, she will only eat if my dogs are in the room and she can see them). I initially had a forest pattern fabric around it, but she kept trying to jump at it, and consequently running into the glass. She is definitely digging. She'll do it in random parts of the tank, not just at the edge. It's not the arm wave thing, either, this is concentrated, very obvious digging. She has gotten under the paper towels to the glass before and kept trying to dig further down.

9. CentriRitanni

Well, she threw up today, but it wasn't the entirety of her meal, which I thought was a little odd. Other than that she is very feisty, and I think she is definitely on the mend. We're past the halfway point on her antibiotics, and she hates them more than ever now. I've started letting her have supervised free run time (I say freerun, she has about 25sq feet going over to an open screened window), and she seemed to enjoy the real sunlight.

10. CentriRitanni

Update: After a few days of relative inactivity, she had the first major shed she's had since she recovered (she shed almost constantly when I first got her) and her colors are looking great! She ran through her wandering jew constantly for almost 2 hours, and her skin is mangled up in the stalks and leaves. She has a couple more days of antibiotics, but she's taking it like a champ. Today I built a loft for her current enclosure (to expand it while her adult closure is being built [I'd rather not put her in with the foster dragon if possible]), and assuming she's still doing well on Sunday (I want to give her a few days to relax after getting off the antibiotics before changing things up), it will be added then (adding about 2'6" to the height of her current space). I was super lucky, while I was taking the trash out at work, I found a desk one of the stores threw out that had 2 25" tempered glass square shelves on it, and double my luck, they had left it assembled, so the glass was in perfect condition! Her new loft is predominantly plyboard, but the glass was a great find to make the front. She didn't eat much today, but I have a feeling she's going to plow through some dubias and earthworms tomorrow.

11. DragonsKeepers

DragonsKeepers Subscribed User Premium Member

Glad she's doing better! Keep us posted.

12. CentriRitanni

She decided to bite me today when I was giving her the antibiotic (which wouldn't be that hard considering I how I have to hold her to give the meds [Perp balanced on my palm/middle, ring, and pinky fingers, then use my index finger to hold one side of her jaw and use my thumb to pull down her "jowl" so that I can get the syringe in the corner of her mouth]), and was not happy when that didn't make me yield. As much as I would like her to be comfortable, meds come first. So she bit my index finger, then my thumb, and when she bit my thumb, her mouth was open just enough to give her the rest of the dose. When I took her to the bathtub she kept trying to lick (well, more like a weird tongue-flicking deal toward) my thumb where she bit it (I didn't let touch it). She was much calmer after her soak. She did, indeed, pig out today: 1 earthworm, 20 waxworms, 6 dubias over a period of a few hours. I have a feeling she probably won't be too hungry tomorrow.

13. CentriRitanni

Hey eyes are getting better! Woo!

My niece desperately wanted to feed the lizards today, so I gave her a cup of crickets, not thinking that she would dump some in Perp's cage. She probably put about 10 in there. Normally when I feed her crickets, I rip off the back legs (I watched her try repeatedly to catch them 3 feedings in a row, but her aim is not good), but she actually caught all but one cricket. Woot woot. With all the stuff in her tank, even.

I am in no way saying that the antibiotics had anything to do with her eyes (just in case any novice wanders by), but that with care, her eyes are improving from the very poor condition they were in when I got her. :D

So happy right now!

Doubly so because I discovered that the Walmart by my house (not usually the one I go to) has expanded their bait selection to include crickets and mealworms.

14. CentriRitanni

And she just got the last one! It dived into her water dish... so she did too. XD Call me a cow because I'm over the moon! (Yes, yes that was a terrible joke.)

15. CentriRitanni

Perp got her enclosure extension today, and for about 2 hours she'd wander just a *little* ways into it, then jump back down and run to the bottom of her tank. She finally decided it wasn't going to swallow her whole, and after 5 hours, she was basking at the highest point she can reach. I will need to add a ceramic heater, but otherwise, I'm quite satisfied with the result, and I think she likes it too.

16. DragonsKeepers

Do you have a picture of it now?

17. CentriRitanni

If she can go without getting sick for the next 3 weeks, I will have a camera phone again, and I will absolutely post pics then. Pro tip: always buy an Otterbox and don't roll chairs over your phone. >.<

Once I get my new phone there will be tons of pics. Promise. ^^

18. schmidt1894

schmidt1894 Elite Member

Otterbox cases are the best! I've had horses step on them, truck run it over, and bunch of falls on concert.... Won't break!:)

19. DragonsKeepers

Otterboxes are made about five miles from me. I prefer my smartphone naked personally. I also have like five old phones that I could use for pictures and then just take out the SD cards...

20. CentriRitanni

I have a very very impressive ability to lose and/or break phones. It could be a skill, though a very expensive one. I don't think I've ever had a phone make it to a year. The one before this one was in the best Otterbox (the defender, maybe?), and I left it on to of my cat when I drove off. It flew off of my car onto concrete and was totally fine. I lost it the next day.

It was also dropped into more than one water dish, but that's probably a separate issue.