This Disappears When Logged In

CWD Gaping

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by CentriRitanni, Jun 19, 2012.

1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

3 degrees can make a huge difference, believe it or not. I have no idea about the tongue. Maybe another keeper can chime in.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, can you take a photo, then just crop it to zoom in on the head/mouth, and also show a pic of the enclosure lighting/heating arrangement?

3. CentriRitanni

CentriRitanni Elite Member

Unfortunately, no. :/ I broke my camera phone a dew days ago. The most recent picture of her (from less than a week ago) is the one in the first post, and I can post a pic of her temporary enclosure without the UVBs or towels on (I wrap a towel around 3 sides of the tank, those things just make it hard to take a picture). I hope that's helpful.

I noticed some white on her snout today, so I have a vet appointment for her at 5.

1340075104793.jpg

4. CentriRitanni

This vet also was unsure of what's wrong. He did, however, give me antibiotics, just in case, and he found a necrotic spot on her tail, which he offered to remove for free if it doesn't fall off soon.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, is that a screen top, if yes, how are you controlling the temps and humidity, also, the setup is far too sparce, do you have any foliage (fake is fine)?

6. CentriRitanni

This vet also was unsure of what's wrong. He did, however, give me antibiotics, just in case, and he found a necrotic spot on her tail, which he offered to remove for free if it doesn't fall off soon.

Any tips on how to administer the antibiotics? I have the syringe, but what's the best way to go about getting her to open her mouth to give her the meds?

7. CentriRitanni

It is a screen top, but it has a glass top on top of it. I have a pothos plant in there now, in the middle. I was thinking about also adding a spider plant, but I'm not sure if that would be too much for that size of a tank. She's super stressed after the car ride and vet check (I'm letting her soak in the tub at the moment to calm down), so I want to give her a lot of places to hide, but I don't want to overrun the tank.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

It helps with having two people, one person to open the mouth by pulling on the skin under the neck with one hand and with other hand use thumb and index finger to hold onto either side of top mouth. The second person can inject the medication via syringe in the corner of the mouth into throat. Good luck

9. CentriRitanni

She is SUPER ****ed at me right now. I put my hand down in the tub for her, and she ran up to my shoulder and started gaping and puffing (defensively). She tried to bite my ear... which gave me a good opportunity to give her the meds, which she did NOT appreciate. The bright side is that if she's mad and being defensive, I can give her the antibiotic, but the bad part is that, obviously, it does nothing for trust.

10. mld

I know its hard on gaining their trust, but when it comes to getting her healthy again is the best.

11. CentriRitanni

I don't really have a second person, so I guess I'll just have to keep her a little mad right now. The bright side of her being mad and wet is that she shed some spots that have been stuck.

12. mld

Just be careful of your fingers, they can close their mouths pretty fast, thats how I got bit while giving meds!

13. CentriRitanni

I've been bitten by many animals while helping, it's the price paid for inability to communicate necessity. But if they get better, it's well worth a little blood and pain.

14. CentriRitanni

Quick update: She's now had 3 doses of antibiotics and is much more active. She's also getting a 15 minute warm bath each day, and has since shed her entire head and neck and now has a bright turquoise throat. ^^ I'll continue the antibiotics and daily baths for the next 13 days (15 days total), and hopefully she will feel much better after that. Thanks all for the help, I appreciate it. :)

15. mld

Thats great news, keep up the good work.

16. CentriRitanni

As of today, she has come to view the syringe as her enemy, which is good both because she's not lashing out at me, and whenever the syringe tip is within 3" of her head, she attacks it and bites the tip! Naturally, that makes it really easy to administer her meds. She does have a particular aversion to being picked up right now, but since she's getting a soak in the bathtub every day, I've taken up a horse method to transport her: use a damp paper towel, place it over her body and a small bit going under her chin, and gently lift her from her belly (so as not to compress her body and make her uncomfortable). She seems okay with this method, and as soon as I set her down she is right back to being active (whereas when I just moved her bare handed she sat motionless for almost 10 minutes afterward).

17. Zane

Zane Well-Known Member

I just wanted to thank you for the frequent and detailed updates!!! For a new owner it is very comforting to know alot of the little tips and tricks to nurse my little guy back to good health if anything were to happen! You are doing a great service to the community!

18. CentriRitanni

Certainly. It is definitely a learning experience! I just kind of had her dropped in my lap more or less, and she's gone from emaciated, eyes crusted shut, and dehydrated to a little brat with an attitude! These guys definitely have personality when they're feeling well. I will say that the members of this forum have been very helpful, which is greatly appreciated. :)

19. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Yay! I'm glad to hear she's doing better :D

20. CentriRitanni

This dragon is clearly feeling much better. She has not gone directly under the light in 24 hours, so I dropped the wattage back down and her tank is now at normal temps again. She decided baths weren't too scary today and decided to go for a swim (it's the first time I've seen her swim, and it is super cute ^^). Her shed has mostly finished and she is eating like a pig again. When she attacked the syringe today, I let her really attack it (it has been mean to her, you know), and that seemed to be cathartic for her (I say that, once the syringe was "dead" she went to the high point in her tank and sat quite triumphant, staring down at her vanquished foe [we'll see how that bodes for giving her the meds tomorrow]).