This Disappears When Logged In

CWD Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by melodybirdsong, Sep 22, 2009.

1. I finally got this thing finished! Took about 6 months but it was well worth all my effort!

Doors will be added to the bottom to cover that junk up.
    2.jpg

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3-1.jpg
      3-1.jpg
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      44.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      49.2 KB
      Views:
  2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Nice Job! My only suggestion is that the UVB tube needs to be placed directly over the top branch. Its pretty useless hanging off the side.

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Beautiful enclosure! Is the fluorescent tube the sole light source? I ask because they are only effective to approx. 12inches...[unless you have the longer range model?]

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I am with Liz. The basking branch should lie directly under the UVB light.

5. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

Just beautiful! Can I move in?????

6. It's not hanging off the side, here's a better picture of the top.

NewBabyLizards050.jpg

Attached Files:

7. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Can the pond be removed?? It'll need to cleaned every day and it looks like it would be kind of tuff to get it out everyday to clean.

Otherwise a great looking enclosure :)

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Fantastic looking habitat.
    How do the doors seal when closed?
    Did you put weatherstripping on or?

9. schlegelbagel

Ah gotcha. Much better.

10. Yep the pond can be removed. It has a little lip around the edge, so I flipped it over and sprayed it with a silicone lubricant, then around the edge of the tiles where the pond sits, I layed down a 2 inch thick bead of silicone, then pressed the pond down into the hole, which created a really good seal that wasn't going to stick to the pond. Now the pond can be easily lifted out for water changes!

The doors are sealed with some brown foam weatherstripping, and the doors interlock (one has to close before the other) so that it's a really good seal. If you look close, you can see the brown strips around the door on the frame of the cage. It just has one pin lock at the top, I'm considering adding another to the bottom but I'm not sure if it'll do any good.

11. schlegelbagel

I have two pin locks, not because it makes it more secure, but its backup if one of the other pin locks fail!

12. T-rex

T-rex Elite Member

That's amazing! Great job!

13. Merlin

If the pinlock is slid into place it won't fail. As long as you use it. ;)
    With the pinlock locked, just check the bottom to see if there is any wiggle room to it.

14. DragonFamily

DragonFamily Elite Member

Very nice! That will be one happy dragon!

Do you have some fake and some live plants in there? It looks like that might be the case... We are hoping to do that with our new enclosure too.

How far is that main basking branch from the heat lamp? Have you tested the temperature for the primary basking spot?

15. It's about 10-12 inches away from the basking light, and the temps get up to about 93-95, and the bottom of the tank gets to about 80-83. Then, at night I just use the 75 watt infrared and the tank stays around 75 degrees.

Most of the plants are fake, but on the side are two hanging baskets with Pothos in them, and another Pothos at the bottom. Then in the back right corner is a dirt box.

16. DragonFamily

DragonFamily Elite Member

Very cool. I really like the hanging basket plants :) . Seems like an easy way to add them without overcomplicating things and making maintenance difficult.

17. KrazyReptiles

KrazyReptiles Member

sweet!Wanna make me one?Hahhaha just kidding. :p Well anyways great enclosure I always wanted to make my own custom tank..but I don't wanna pay a lot then mess it up so in december I'm gonna buy a exo terra pt 2416 for my baby CWD!:D

18. Merlin

Not quite sure what a PT 2416 is but don't waste your money. None of the exo terra enclosures is anywhere near big enough for a water dragon.

19. schlegelbagel

Merlin is correct. A full grown water dragon will run a space as big as she made. Getting an exoterra is a waste of money. Time to start building.

If you are not so handy with tools and wood, see if there are any cabinet makers in your area up to the job. If you are near any amish, best quality and price around.

20. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I will also agree with both Liz and Merlin. Exoterra tanks aren't big enough for the animals like wd's that need more space. Check out our herphabitats section for some simple ideas for building new enclosures. If you convert a piece of furniture you don't really even need a whole lot of building ability.

To Melody- awesome looking tank.