This Disappears When Logged In

CWD Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures' started by The JD, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The JD

The JD Elite Member

Hello all! I finally have a chance to post some pics of the custom enclosure I made for my CWD. It's 6'x6'x2' with a 50 gallon aquarium and dirt box. I have loads more detailed pictures of it, but this is all I can post for now.

[​IMG]

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

WOW. That's GREAT!

My only suggestion would be to add a few more cross branches. Give her even more climbing space.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I bet he loves it in there. Nice job. I agree with adding more branches and foliage.

Also you can put wood or plastic lattice on the back and side panels. It greatly increases climbable footage. You can even plant a vine to grow up.

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wow nice enclosure! Great job and one happy dragon :)

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Now that's cool! But I agree. More climbing space will increase the useable living space that the dragon has. All that open area is inaccessable.

6. Ashuresque

Ashuresque Elite Member

Very nice :)

7. narnibird

narnibird Elite Member

Sweet! That's awesome. I love the windows! What a great idea. :) I bet if you add lattice like kriminaal suggested, that would look even cooler. I'd love to see a picture of your dragon climbing up it. lol I bet she LOVES it in there.

8. The JD

The JD Elite Member

Definitely sounds like a good idea. I'll see if I can find some fake tree branches or maybe get some of my own and cure them. I've been desperately working on getting tropical plants going in there but I've had some bumps. I'm hoping I have it all worked out now with the lighting and water figured out. My biggest problem is my guy likes to dig up plants before they can really settle in. I'm going to try making enclosures out of chicken wire for the plants so they can at least root themselves before he tears them up. We'll see! Thanks for the suggestions

9. schlegelbagel

Try just putting in potted plants. Put them in a heavy pot, like ceramic. This will help curb the digging. If you have have to, add large river rocks to the top. I had a cat that liked to dig in my pots and this just about stopped it.

And I love the lattice idea!

10. Merlin

I would go with Liz's suggestion.
    Chicken wire is dangerous in cages and has been known to cut off lizard toes!:eek:

11. The JD

The JD Elite Member

Man! I never thought about putting large river rocks over the dirt! I think that'll work real well!

As for the chicken wire, the stuff I have (And I've already forgot why I bought it and haven't used it) has large enough openings to where toes shouldn't be able to get stuck and I'd be sure the cut off ends aren't exposed. Doesn't anyone know how well covering a plant in thick clear plastic would work? Would the plant still thrive?

12. sooperdave

sooperdave Elite Member

Speaking of river rocks, I was at the Mississippi yesterday. I would not take ANYTHING out of THAT river, trust me. But I did grab some large rocks from the park close by. My water dragon loves sitting on them.

13. schlegelbagel

Its not that the toes get stuck in chicken wire, its that there is exposed twisted wire. Hardware cloth is maybe what you have? Its woven instead of twisted.

However I think the lattice would look better :)

14. Merlin

It isn't a matter of getting the toes stuck. Chicken wire is the round or octagonal opening metal wire and the wire is so thin that it can act like a wire cheese slicer and actually cut off the toes.
    And covering the plant in plastic is no good either. The roots of a plant need to have oxygen to survive and unless adequately ventilated the plastic would cut that off as well as prevent it from getting water. And the dragon would probably just shred the plastic.
    However you might look into nylon mesh like is used in aquaculture. Its about the thickness of 1/4 inch hardware cloth but without the metal wire.

15. Dracus

Dracus Elite Member

lol, real windows. Interesting!

16. The JD

The JD Elite Member

Yeah, there's a reason I picked real windows. Sliding doors weren't a big option for me because the tracks need to extend across the whole enclosure. My enclosure is actually2 pieces, held together by 4 bolts. I needed it to be easily taken apart for moving purposes, plus it also alows me to easily expand the enclosure by adding new sections. I was thinking of adding a 2'x2' section to it to make it one big L, or adding a 4'x2'x'2 section in the middle, with it being four feet high, so I can have a scorpion terrarium on top of that (the WD enclosure and scorpion enclosure wouldn't actually be open to each other. In any case, that ruled our sliding doors, at least easily. I also didn't want swinging doors because I had no gaurentee of it being free of obstructions after I move it. I wanted it to be as compact as possible while allowing me easy access to the entire enclosure. So, actual windows. I was tempted to make my own to save on costs, but these windows (although expensive) have been absolutely amazing. Best part is, they don't fog up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.